Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Kristina's Big Day!

One of my oldest and dearest friends (we went to high school together) is having gastric bypass surgery today.  Let's see...she's probably about half way through surgery right now.  I'm so excited for her.  I don't advocate EVERYONE having this surgery.  It's a decision that only YOU can make with your doctor and family.  But I will support pretty much anyone who decides that this surgery is for them.  I will also answer any question honestly.  Nothing is TMI. 

Let me qualify that.  I support anyone who decides to make this their new lifestyle.  Anyone who refuses to change their eating habits, doesn't want to exercise, drinks too much alcohol...you're just setting yourself up to fail.  Losing weight and gaining it back is way more disappointing than just being big your entire life.   Kristina's husband had surgery four years ago, so I know she's committed to the process.  She's basically already lived it before. 

I know Kristina was nervous about being put under.  I always feel like you can die on the table, or you can die walking across the street.  When it's your time, it's your time.  Now, I don't think we should all run out and do dangerous things.  But, if you weigh the pros and cons, and decide surgery is for you, then trust that you have the best doctors and medical staff now working to make this a successful surgery.  Kristina has two daughters to think of, though, so I understand she has more than herself to worry about.  For me, I felt like, if I died, oh well, what would I care, I'd be dead.  But all you can do is make sure your surgeon has a flawless record and then trust in him or her.  I told Kristina, you have the easy job -- you get to sleep through it!!  :-) 

So today I wish Kristina and her family well!  She's in a great program, so I know she'll be fine.  I look forward to going through this journey with her.  Today is the first day of the rest of her life!

3 comments:

  1. Update: Although Kristina's surgery went fine, she had some complications afterward. A little bleeding in the GI tract. They are keeping her in the hospital an extra day to keep an eye on it. She is getting a blood transfusion today and, hopefully, will get to go home. Let's keep good thoughts for her! Just a small bump in the road!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Miss K ended up with a GI bleed. She got to go home and is still in a lot of pain. Let's keep good thoughts that she'll get through this rough patch! :-)

    ReplyDelete