Thursday, June 10, 2010

GIVE MAMA SOME SUGAR

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  Right?  What if scientists came in with all of their tools and poked and prodded said rose?  What if they dug a little deeper and changed the rose's cellular make-up?  The rose basically looks the same but it smells sweeter and lives longer.  It's a better rose, right?  But what if you didn't know that the rose now gives off a completely odorless gas that will kill you?  But not for 50 years.  Do you still love your rose?

This is how I feel about fake sugars.  Yeah all of that fake stuff basically looks like the real stuff, and it seems nicer because there are no calories, but you can tell it's just not right.  People report headaches or stomach aches.  We have more sugar-free crap than ever, yet obesity is still an epidemic.  Some even may cause cancer?!  After gastric bypass, we were told not to eat sugar.  Anything with "sugar" in the first three ingredients was a big no-no.  Do you know how many words out there mean "sugar?!"  Check out this blog.

I was careful right after surgery, making sure I chose the "sugar free" or "no sugar added" options.  However, I quickly learned that fake sugar (sugar alcohols) made me more sick than real sugar!  So, I have learned that I would rather eat small amounts of real sugar than any amount of fake sugar.  Here is a blog about sugar (they suggest you avoid it completely).  And another blog about real sugar vs. sweeteners.  I've read a lot of articles about how drinking diet soda actually makes you fatter because the fake sugar makes you crave MORE sugar and you eventually go for it.  There's a lot of information out there.  But I know for me, avoiding fake sugar is more important than avoiding real sugar. 

I did a 5k a few months back.  A lady there was telling people their body fat percentage.  She did mine and told me I need to lose about 40 pounds (good, because that's about how much I want to lose...I expected her to say more like 50).  She said that she believes that women especially need to AVOID white flour and sugar.  Don't limit it.  HAVE NONE OF IT.  Wow.  And no fake sugars for me, so nothing sweet ever again?  (Well, I guess I would have to go for some of those natural sweeteners mentioned in one of those blogs above.)  My usual attitude is "everything in moderation."  So completely cutting out all white flour and sugar would go against everything I believe.  I do have a couple of friends who believe this is the way to go.  They say once you get past the first few days, it's not bad. 

I'm still on the fence.  I can understand that other people have benefited greatly from taking sugar or flour or gluten or other things out of their diet.  I'm just not sure I have the willpower to do it!  Didn't I have this surgery so I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing anymore?

Does anyone have experience with removing these things from your diet?  I'd love to hear about your experience!

5 comments:

  1. The control it must take to eliminate all white sugar and flour! I am trying the fruit, yogurt, tofu thing right now. I am pretty happy with it. Still not losing weight, but at least not gaining. I hardly ever each junk food. But sweet. Sometimes I just NEED sweet. When life is crap, white sugar and chocolate are needed. Just needed. I agree, moderation in everything. Life is meant to be lived. Healthily, wisely, and with fun. Constant denial is not living.-Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita -- agreed! I think I need a cookie. :-D

    Seriously, I do respect people who have the strength to remove things like that from their diet. I'm not ready to be that extreme yet. Rob and I just started the P90X so I really hope that's enough to take some weight off. If I get to the end of that, and I haven't lost as much as I want, then maybe I'll consider getting completely crazy and cutting out sugar and flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a PBS show the other day and some guy showed a graph of how much sugar the average American eats, and he said the average is 10 TIMES what people in this country were eating about 100 years ago. His message was basically what you are suggesting: sugar is very bad -- avoid it. However, I agree with Rita, everything in moderation. Live a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, I totally agree...I don't want to avoid it!!! But I think limiting it might be a great idea. My blood sugar runs kind of low but I understand that may just be pre-diabetes...and all of this AFTER I lost so much weight! That just pisses me off!! So, I will watch my sugar but I'm still not ready to cut it out completely. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the secret is not to completely deny yourself anything, but to limiting it to a level witch will still make you happy. My own experiences is that if I deny myself something, I only want it more. Good luck, what ever your path is! :)

    ReplyDelete