Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dear Warren Buffett

Dear Warren Buffett:

I recently heard you were giving away most of your money, Mr. Buffett.  I understand most -- if not all -- of it will go to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  It is a worthy cause, sir.

However, I would like to bring your attention to another cause:  Me.

I struggle like a lot of American people.  I am not poor enough to be eligible for assistance (and feel very, very fortunate to have a job in this economy).  But I am still working my butt off to get my bills paid and just barely stay above water.  My boyfriend is working on his doctorate and we will have over $200,000 in school loans to pay off when he is done.  Did you know that, while working on his post-doc hours, many places will offer him a whole $10 an hour to work?  Doesn't seem fair considering a kid down the street can go work at In-N-Out for that much. But I digress...

Anyway, if you accidentally dropped a million dollars off in my bank account, Mr. Buffett, I promise to do nice things with it.  Maybe I could invest it.  Work part-time.  Use my new-found spare time to donate my time to feed the homeless or work in a women's shelter.  I'd love to travel a little bit.  Rescue babies and animals.  I'd buy my horse back.  In the whole scheme of things, a million dollars would mean nothing to you but it would change my life.

Of course, I expect nothing for free!  In exchange, I could promise to help you with some things around the house.  I can paint fences.  Toes.  I like to drive cars, so I can chauffeur you around, if you'd like.  Maybe take you horseback riding on the beach (the best feeling ever, if you've never tried it).  I know how to do a lot of things!  Just ask and your wish is my command (well, to a point). 

So, dear, dear Mr. Buffett.  I hope this letter finds you well and in a jovial mood (somewhat like Santa Claus!).  I applaud your extreme generosity and hope that some of it will shine down upon me.

Your dearest newfound friend,

Lori Myers

P.S.. Oprah, in case you happen across this, I like you too!  

8 comments:

  1. I am not so sure about those beach rides on a horse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not bias him, David!! That may be the selling point! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shameless! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What. I offered to paint his toes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know how that works out for you. If you get a million, or win the lottery, I will send you a similar letter; I'll ratchet down the dollar amount, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, do not be selfish! Find your own rich man to offer to paint toenails on so you can have a million dollars. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented there will be so many ways you could help Mr. Buffet out....you can get him into Twirly Tuff and help him get his abs back....he needs a trainer....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bel, that is an EXCELLENT idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete