Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sometimes you just need to step away

So I realized I haven't talked about my pole dancing adventures much lately.  I recently realized I have over-extended myself in a lot of areas of my life.  I'm getting up at 5 a.m. to work out, shower, drive to work, work a full day, drive home, get in bed by 9 p.m., then do it all over again.  Oh yeah, and somewhere in there fit in eating, household chores and spending time with Rob.  I usually go to Twirly Girls on Wednesday nights (and Saturday mornings).  Class is from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.  On those nights, I barely get home in time to fall into bed...no time for hanging out or eating dinner.  Tuesdays is yoga.  That class doesn't even get out until almost 9 p.m., so I really don't have time for any extras.  On top of all of that, this summer, I've had a lot of housesitting jobs offered to me.  I recently started asking friends to help with the overflow because I have spent well over half the summer sleeping in someone else's bed. 

Rob and I celebrated a year together last weekend.  And by celebrated, I mean we stayed at home almost all weekend, doing nothing but watching movies and hanging out.  It was some necessary R&R.  But it wasn't enough.  This weekend I start a week-long housesitting job, which is followed immediately by another week-long housesitting job.  That takes me right up to my birthday weekend, where we have planned an overnight trip to Calistoga for mud baths and massages.  It will be a nice reward but the next two weeks are making me tired already.

So I decided it was time to take a break from Twirly Girls for the next two months.  Not because I don't love Twirly Girls but because it's about a 30 minute drive from my house and I needed to get some time back in my week.  I've also taken a step back in the social scene...so I am hoping the combination will allow me to get back into sync with myself and then I'll be back in the saddle sooner rather than later!

The good news is that I have my pole set up at home now so tonight I'm going to make some time to work on a few strength building moves.  I recently saw a photo on Facebook of a girl doing a headstand against the pole...and her back is bent.  I need to learn how to do this.  So I'll work on some head and handstands tonight.  It won't be an entire hour and a half of pole but it will be enough.  I got my new PoleSkivvies, so it's a good excuse to try them out and take a photo for Jennifer's website. 

To check in on the weight loss front, last week, I made it to the gym for the early morning workout three mornings.  This week I'm on track to workout six days.  I'm spinning Monday, Wednesday and Saturday mornings.  Weights Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  Yoga at the gym on Tuesday night and at home on Friday morning.  It's a good schedule that has worked for me before so it should work again.

I met with a nutritionist, Linda Michaelis, a little over a week ago.  She gave me a lot of great suggestions for moving things around in my diet.  I am trying to do low sugar/carb...limiting refined sugars and bread but not cutting them out completely (just mostly watching WHEN I eat them).  I'm allowed to eat 2,000 calories on days I don't work out and 2,200 calories on days I do workout.  I feel like I'm eating all day long, so I don't feel hungry or dissatisfied at all.  I lost five pounds last week, so it's working. 

So, that's me checking in.  I may have gone quiet but I haven't gone away.  I am heading to Texas in September and hoping to make it to Hawaii in October.  By then, I hope to be back in the swing of things and on my way to getting into great shape once again!

Here's a photo of Jessalynn Medairy at Pole Summer Camp in the Caribbean with Milan Pole Dance Studio.  THIS is the bend I need to learn how to put into my back.  Can you train your back to bend like that or does your body just do that?!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a hectic summer you're having! I think you were wise to cut back for a bit. So glad you like your Skivvies! And, as for that back bend, I hear people working on that in contortionism, so there must be a way to get there - if you find out, pass it on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will research it because I tried to do it last night and my spine was stick straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my friend made this suggestion:

    The Cobra Stretch can help with this move-
    http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/fitness/video-cobra-stretch-fitness-00400000041093/

    Have you ever laid on the floor stomach down and lifted your head up and tried to touch your toes to you...r head? That may help as well.

    ----

    My back doesn't quite bend the right way but maybe if I keep practicing on the floor with the cobra stretch, I can make it work against the pole soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late on my question but here it is. You mention speaking to a nutritionist about your card/sugar intake. You say you are watching "when" you eat carbs. Maybe you can share a little information on that. I've taken a nutrition class but we never discussed when its a good or bad to eat certain foods. hmmm I guess it wasn't much of a question after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, because of the gastric bypass, sugar makes me sick if I eat too much. And eating it on an empty stomach is especially bad. So I need to eat protein first. Sugar / carbs second. I used to do a protein bar on the way to the gym, which is usually high in sugar. So I am now eating beef jerky. Kinda weird at 5 AM but my stomach is much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately my back is naturally arched like that. I can sit straight without slouching. Everyone thinks I have a perfect posture but in reality it's bad. I can't hunch forward at all. Doing sit-ups it such a struggle for me. My back is complete straight. I can not do a plank or pushup. I can't tuck it in (if you get what I'm saying) A lot of people are amazed how straight it is, that some think I have a metal rod in my bad. I can arch like a cat. It's something I have to live with, but it's sad to have it in the pole dancing world. You sill see it on the 18th at the photoshoot =|

    ReplyDelete