Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What is your heart rate when you workout?

I wear a heart rate monitor when I workout.  I obsessively check it to make sure I'm "in the zone."  I'm always okay with going "over" the "zone," and can usually burn 600-800 calories in an hour-long spin class.  In spin, we try to go between four zones.  I had "eyeballed" my zones a long time ago and always based my zones on those estimates.  This morning, I sat down to do the math about my "actual" zones.  Lots of quotation marks today because, as with a lot of health-related subjects, everything is open to interpretation.  So today I started a conversation on Facebook about heart rates and what they mean. 

Rather than try to rehash the conversation, I'll post the conversation at the end of this post.  You will see some posts from Joy Poulsen.  I have always liked Joy's advice.  She runs a boot camp company called Inspire FitnessCheck them out on Facebook.  And I have already printed the links she sent me and will be figuring out my true max heart rate soon! 


Lori Myers I just re-figured out my "max heart rate." Whoops. I'm surprised I haven't fallen over and died!


  • David Pearson likes this.
    • Heather Scissor Speer The elliptical always says 152 for me... I've gone wayyyyyy over that many times. Haha! So, how do you calculate the real number?
      2 hours ago ·
    • Lori Myers Well in spin, they want us in zones. So zone 4 is usually the highest and they don't want you there often or long (85-90% of max). Take 220 minus your age and then you can multiply out your percentages. According to my new math, I spend a lot more time in zone 4 than I should.
      2 hours ago ·
    • Heather Scissor Speer Won't that get better the better in shape you get?
      2 hours ago ·
    • Lori Myers
      Zone 1: 50-55% - 93-102
      I was using: Under 130

      Zone 2: 65-75% - 120-139
      I was using: 130-150
      ...
      Zone 3: 75-85% - 139-158
      I was using: 150-170

      Zone 4: 85-90% - 158-167
      I was using: 170 +

      220 - age x percentage
      220 - 34 (my age this month) = 186 max heart rate
      2 hours ago
    • Heather Scissor Speer Cause I noticed the more weight I've lost, the harder it is to reach my target heart rate. I used to step on the elliptical and my heart rate would get there in 30 seconds. LOL
      2 hours ago
    • Lori Myers I was spinning between 150-160 most of the time. Now I'm trying to stay between 140-150.
      2 hours ago
    • Lori Myers Heather, yes, the better shape you get into, the harder you have to work to hit your target heart rate. I hear that the faster you recover, the better shape you are in.
      2 hours ago
    • Lori Myers Seriously, some days I'd just stand up and be at my target. lol. I was pushing myself before and burning up to 800 calories during one spin session. Now I'm shooting for 650.
      2 hours ago
    • Heather Scissor Speer All these factors.. sheesh... I really need to set up my bodybugg account.. its just lame though.. its like 15 bucks for the software.. and 50 for a phone session w/a coach or something and you HAVE to buy them together. Lame! I just want the software!
      2 hours ago
    • Lori Myers Ooooh!!! You have one though?!! That's cool!
      2 hours ago via Email Reply
    • Heather Scissor Speer Yeah. The older model.. but it still works. I've never used it myself though.. lol
      2 hours ago
    • Joy Poulsen Lori have you tried calculating your max hr using the Heart Zones methodology. I'm a certified HZ trainer and the CEO of HZ has worked for years to dispel the myth that 220-age is not accurate for assessing max hr but it's the only one most gyms and folks know so hence used more often. There's a sub-maximal test you can do in a gym to assess your true max hr and I can send you the protocol if you like.
      2 hours ago
    • Lori Myers Joy, I'd love to see it!
      2 hours ago via Email Reply
    • Joy Poulsen ok I'll send it to you in a min.
      about an hour ago
    • Joy Poulsen this is a great article from one of the gurus on testing hr http://heartzones.com/healthpros/resourcezone/articles/documents/CarlFosterHRMax.pdf and I'm sending you the protocol next
      about an hour ago
    • Joy Poulsen
      and here's a threshold test -
      http://heartzones.com/_pdf/Workout-of-the-Month-June-2008.pdf

      this I really like to do after I've established my true max hr. Threshold is really the number that we work at (anaerobically) to burn the highest a...mount of calories. The fitter we get the higher our threshold number will move, narrowing the gap between threshold and true max hr. there are 2 training methodologies basically when using hr training; 1) to work out using the Max hr as your anchor or 2) to workout using Threshold as your anchor - I prefer using threshold because it's the number I can see, feel, and use and see it change over time
      about an hour ago
    • David Pearson Not sure how accurate 220 minus ones age is or I would be dead at every Brazen Race. Last race I was talking to the paramedic and he said that in CC County, anything over 155 and he can use the paddles. I laughed and told him I hit that every day in spin.
      about an hour ago
    • Joy Poulsen right on David. my 220-age mhr would be 171 but my HR tested max is actually 190 so if I used the "old formula" I wouldn't be missing out on zones 4 and 5 altogether and my threshold is tested at 170 so I'd never be hitting it.
      about an hour ago
    • Lori Myers Thank you so much for all of this info, Joy! I will check it out now!
      about an hour ago

       

1 comment:

  1. Bel also suggested a website:

    http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

    ReplyDelete