Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Derailed -- sort of

I had all kinds of plans for last weekend.  Rita's Twirly Girls party was Friday.  Saturday, I took Rita's daughter to Kristin's to decorate a cake for her 80's party that night.  Sunday, I was supposed to go to the Santa Baby burlesque workshop at Twirly Girls.  Monday, I was off work and planning to do a bunch of things, including going to watch Andrea perform in the Wonka Wonderland burlesque show in Oakland.  In between all of that, I needed to run errands, clean the house, get a Christmas tree, blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc., yada, yada yada.

I have been fighting some kind of cold or other illness on and off for a friggin' month.  And this weekend, it finally let me know that I was done and needed to rest.

Friday afternoon, my boss needed me to take BART into San Francisco to file something with the court of appeal.  So at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, I was frantically rushing into the city.  I was nervous because I don't ride BART often, especially not by myself.  And I had to park at a station in Oakland, which also makes me nervous.  My boss had given me a BART ticket AND a Clipper card so I didn't know the difference or which one I was supposed to use.  I have an iPhone (and AT&T), so every time we tried to talk on the phone, we'd get disconnected.  I was on a mission because I needed to get back to pick up Rita and Yolanda for Rita's Twirly Girls party that night.  It turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I made it back to Oakland by 4:30, so I got to go straight home and actually ended up about 45 minutes ahead of schedule since that BART station was closer to home than my boss' house. Still...I was scared and sweating the entire time.

I had arranged for Stephanie Nicole and Vicodonia to come perform for Rita's birthday.  I knew most of the ladies had probably never seen a drag show, so I wasn't sure how it would go over, but it was a huge hit!!  The ladies were super excited and Stephanie and Vicodonia really seemed to enjoy performing for us, even though we were a small group.  It was so much fun.  Check out a couple of videos:





The FEVER! girls finally got to break out their performance.  Ummmm...except we did it at the end of the night, close to midnight and a few of the girls maybe had a few margaritas.  It was fun though!  And we surprised Rita by ripping off our shirts at the beginning of the song.  The performance at Rita's fundraiser will be better!  Check out our practice performance here:



I also busted out a very rough draft of what I want to do for Fergie and Slash's Beautiful Dangerous.  I was really feeling my illness at this point though.  I spent a lot of time on the floor because I kept getting dizzy and almost blacking out.  I am going to work on this one though.  I like the song and I have some ideas of moves I'd like to incorporate.  Here's the video:



I was sweating like a friggin' pig the entire night.  I came without my make-up done and I almost couldn't get it done since I couldn't cool off.  I finally pulled it together (a little) and Stephanie did my make-up for me.  Awesome job!!!  I was so excited.  I love playing dress up!!  But at the end of the night, the sweating stopped and I felt GREAT!  So I thought, maybe I was just sweating the illness out and I was better!! 

Saturday wasn't too bad.  I took Kate to Kristin's and watched her decorate the 80's cake with fondant.  Pacman and Rubix Cube.  It was really cute.  I got off easy -- I mostly laid on the couch and watched.  That night was Rita's 80's party at her house.  It was a fun night.  I felt a little tired but not too sick. 

However, Sunday I woke up dizzy and sick.  I had to cancel on Santa Baby and all of my errands and items on my to-do list.  I laid around the entire day.  Monday was much of the same.  Rob and I went to get our Christmas tree and I had a doctor's appointment to get an antibiotic. 

Monday night, I NEEDED to support Andrea, who signed up to do burlesque pilates (and the subsequent burlesque show) because of me.  For some reason, I thought the show started at 9.  It didn't start until 10:15 p.m. and our girls got moved to the second half (so they didn't go on until 11 p.m.).  But I feel like I held up pretty well.  And the girls were so cute!!!  The rest of the acts were...hmmm....interesting.  You can find their videos on my youtube page.  Otherwise, here are the lollipop girls in action:



Today I am feeling better.  Maybe it's the meds.  It sounds like I have a sinus infection.  But I had a fun weekend anyway.  I wish I hadn't missed my fun stuff on Sunday and Monday but I am glad to be back on the road to recovery.  Next up, printing our calendar and getting it to everyone in time for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment