Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Competition

There's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, right?  I mean, if you're into that kind of thing.  If I were a competitive pole dancer, I would have pretty high expectations of myself -- both in dancing and doing tricks on the pole.  However, I pole dance for fitness and fun.  I think most of my fellow students feel the same way.  We come to class to learn, laugh and have a good time.

There is a website called PoleJunkies.com.  It has a forum where they set monthly challenges.  I first thought it was a contest where someone had to win and lose, but now that I've spent more time reading other posts, it seems more like a way to challenge and inspire each other.  I think that's cool!  I think some of the Twirly Girls are going to start participating.  It will be fun to come up with little routines each month to share with our fellow pole dancing friends.

One of the things I have always loved about Twirly Girls is how loving and supportive everyone is.  I've had "outsiders" come in for performances or classes and remark on it as well.  I guess when you get that much estrogen in a room, you just expect the cat fighting to start immediately.  It's really important to me that it stays that way.  I'm not saying that people sometimes don't agree -- that happens anywhere.  But, for the most part, we all get along and have fun together.

I have definitely spent the last year or so letting negative people from various groups of friends fade from my life.  I know one person who spends a lot of time dividing people and then complains that they are not included in things.  Well, I wonder why...  Groups of women are especially funny.  Women are supposed to be so nurturing and caring.  Yet you put a group of us in a room and how fast do some of us start shooting each other down?

I don't want to be like that.  I know I won't get along with everyone but I sure do give people a chance before I stop wasting my time.  I feel very fortunate to have found my Twirly Girls, and I'm looking forward to another fun year of classes, activities and events!

3 comments:

  1. Nicely said! Enjoy twirly girls for everything it has to offer. - Kristin C

    ReplyDelete
  2. short and sweet (for once, lol):
    Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands!
    Elle Woods

    ReplyDelete