Monday, March 7, 2011

The law of diminishing returns

The "real" law of diminishing returns refers to economics.  If you're super bored, you can read about it on Wikipedia.  However, today I am referring to FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD

When I was extremely overweight, if I went to fast food, I would get the biggest of everything -- huge burger, extra large fries and drink.  Maybe even a dessert.  But are you really THAT much happier and more satisfied if you get that much food??

Now that I've lost so much weight, I still eat fast food on occasion, but my meal now consists of a small burger and fries -- no drink (99% of the time...damn that rootbeer for calling to me on occasion).  I still enjoy my experience (I mean, as much as a fast food experience can be enjoyed). 

Let's take Burger King for example.  A triple Whopper with cheese and bacon has 1,230 calories and 82 grams of fat.  A large french fry has 540 calories and 27 grams of fat.  A large Sprite has 380 calories. 

Holy shit.  In one meal, you'd have eaten 2,150 calories -- in just one meal.  And how would you feel?  Overly full, I imagine.

Now, if I go to Burger King, I get a Whopper Jr. with cheese and no mayonnaise (not trying to save calories, just don't like mayo).  That's 310 calories and 14 grams of fat.  Then I usually get a small/value fries, so add 220 calories and 11 grams of fat.  The total is 530 calories. 

Way more reasonable.

I'm not saying people should be eating fast food often but sometimes its a necessary evil and at least you can be smart about what you're eating when you do have to eat there.  I try to keep my calories at 1,800 on a non-workout day and 2,200 on a workout day.  I usually lose weight on that "schedule."  So, eating that triple Whopper meal would really mess up my plan if I attempted to eat that (not that my stomach would even allow me to have that much food at once...some days I can't even finish a Whopper Jr.). 

Anyway, next time you're facing the drive-thru...ask yourself if you REALLY need so much food and whether it will actually make you happy in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment