Wednesday, March 2, 2011

win2lose weight

Recently, I was introduced to Jenny Gain through my friend, D'anna McNamer.  Jenny and I share a passion -- pole fitness!  But we also have something else in common -- we are passionate about being healthy.  Jenny, however, is already thin and in amazing shape -- and I want to look like Jenny (only taller since I'd have to lop off an entire foot of height to look like her). 

We all know I've been bitching and whining about wanting to lose 30 pounds (or so).  Some days up I'm a few pounds, some days I'm down, but at the end of the day (or month), I've been hovering around the same weight for probably two months.  I'm spending a lot of time at the gym, and watching my calorie intake but the scale isn't moving (which really means I'm not watching my calorie intake that closely).  I already know that gastric bypass wasn't the "magic pill" or a free ride.  After that first year, maintaining the weight loss became work.  It's time to work (again). 

I've been on this train before.  A few years ago, I was up almost 25 pounds post-surgery and needed to take the weight off.  It was slow and steady, but I did it.  I got back down to my goal weight of 200 pounds.  And now it has crept back on again...plus a few pounds.  Hello -- where have I seen this before?

Anyway, Jenny has a weight loss program in mind for me and I'm going to try it!  It's called win2lose weight.  I think what I like most about it is that it isn't asking me to eat nasty things or starve or even completely re-arrange my life.  It promotes healthy, well-rounded meals, exercise, supplements and weekly accountability meetings with Jenny.  The program lasts 12 weeks.  I had my first weigh-in with Jenny this past Monday (today is Wednesday). 

My weight was (gulp) 232.6 (in my defense, I usually weigh myself naked in the mornings...so going fully clothed at night was very difficult for me...excuses, excuses -- I know!).  My body fat was 43.2%.  Body water was 41.3%.  Muscle mass was 125.4 pounds.  My bone mass was 6.8 pounds.  (Who knew?!  I always told people my big old bones weighed at least 100 pounds!) 

There were a lot of other measurements and readings done, but most won't mean anything to you.  I am not proud of those numbers but I publicize them in an effort to shame myself into sticking with this program.  :-)

Jenny and I discussed my general health and habits.  We talked about healthy eating habits and exercise.  I admitted all of my bad habits -- mostly because lying about them only hurts me.  And we came up with a basic plan that I can stick to that will help me lose weight. 

The last part of the puzzle is the supplements.  There are a multitude of supplements offered on her website.  However, the only one I am using for now is called BioLean.  Here is some information directly from the website:

http://www.synergywellnessgroup.com/

BioLean is a dietary supplement for weight loss, appetite suppression and increased energy without the side effects found in many supplements of this nature. BioLean has a proprietary synergistic blend of natural herbal extracts and pharmaceutical grade amino acids that promote a multi-faceted approach to fat loss. Key ingredients such as Advantra Z®, guarana seed extract, green tea leaf extract and L-carnitine work together to increase the metabolic rate and encourage fat loss by elevating rates of thermogenesis and lipolysis. Our weight loss products work in conjunction with a sensible diet and moderate exercise. This product is gluten free.

BioLean may:
  • Enhance weight loss
  • Aid weight maintenance
  • Suppress appetite
  • Increase energy and alertness
  • Increase lipolysis or fat breakdown
  • Achieve a better ratio of lean muscle mass to total body mass, with proper exercise
  • Increase metabolic rate or thermogenesis
BioLean has been listed in the Physicians’ Desk Reference® (PDR®) for Nonprescription Drugs and Dietary Supplements, the authoritative reference for health care professionals for decades.

*****

I normally do not waste my money with weight loss gimmicks.  I find that the only thing that thins out when I use them is my wallet.  However, I am willing to give this program a try.  It is not asking me to completely change my life or telling me I'm going to lose 100 pounds overnight and look like Pam Anderson next week.  I know I always scoff at weight loss pills when they say, "just take this magic pill and you'll lose weight," which is followed by the fine print that says, "when used in conjunction with a healthy eating and exercise plan."  Well, duh.  If you follow a healthy eating and exercise plan, you'll just lose weight.  I am also very aware of the placebo effect -- this pill works because I think it will.  However, I feel like BioLean is different. 

And, guess what...if that's what it takes, I'm willing to try.  It's only 12 weeks.  It's not going to break the bank.  I have amazing support from someone who genuinely wants to help me.  And I feel re-committed to my health and well-being -- something I need to take seriously, especially as I get older. 

I was going to talk about some of the other supplements offered on Jenny's site, however, this post is already getting a big long.  I will highlight some of them in a future post, but please feel free to check out her website before then.

http://www.synergywellnessgroup.com/

Today is only my second day using BioLean so I'm not up to the full dose yet.  I don't feel jittery or "weird," and I haven't felt as hungry as usual.  I usually find that if I have been over-snacking A LOT, then I'm hungry A LOT.  But if I can just get a day of not stuffing my face, my cravings drop significantly.  So, if I can keep this up, and keep the hunger away, this product will be worth it's weight in gold!

*****

Just to be fair, I looked up some BioLean reviews online.  Here are a few -- good and bad.    Please note that some reference BioLean II, which had ephedra.  BioLean DOES NOT contain ephedra

http://www.amazon.com/Physicians-Health-Diet-134002-BioLean/product-reviews/B000EM0CPC

I have used this product for about two years. In the first three months I lost thirty pounds at a slow but steady rate. Over the next three months I lost another twenty pounds (50 altogether!!) alternating BioLean II and BioLean Free in combination with LipoTrim and Accelerator. I confess I lost this weight with very little excersize. Only sporadic walking. I'm sure I would have lost more had I done so.

Over the last year and a half I continued using BioLean products for maintenence until about three months ago. I have had no rebound weight gain.

This product gave me NO adverse side effects. No insomnia, no leaky bottom, no headaches, no accelerated heartrate. In fact the only side effect was weight loss!! Oh, and the cost: $200 a month for BioLean II, LipoTrim, and Accelerator combo.

**

I've tried many diet pills and this one works the best with suppressing your appetite. It's not a diuretic so you're not flushing out your body's nutrients when trying to stick with a low calorie diet (which can cause lightheadedness and fatigue). I like how the ingredients are natural so you don't get the jitters like some pills give you. Using the Accelorator pills helps with BioLean's ability to suppress the appetite and gives you a little energy kick that push you through workouts. I'd definitely recommend this product to anyone who has trouble dieting because they are hungary all the time.

**

This product is absolutely useless -- no results even when I followed their program religiously for over 2 months. Please don't waste your money! It seems that many diet pills (especially on amazon) have a select few positive reviews that are obviously fraudulent. I wouldn't say I tried "every diet pill" but I have some of the top rated ones and most are marginally effective at best. The ONLY thing that actually works is Lipodrene with 25mg of ephedrine (by the way, ephedrine is completely safe if you don't abuse the product and stay within the recommended dosage). The weight melted off so fast it was surreal. I couldn't believe that something ACTUALLY worked. No one is paying me to say this (ha, I wish they did!) but I just want to share the results with everybody -- Lipodrene makes you lose your appetite completely. I have to almost force myself to eat twice a day, and can make healthy choices in small portions 100% of the time because you're literally indifferent to all food. That is probably due to the hoodia in this pill. It also has caffeine that gives me lots of energy. And the ephedrine acts as a thermogenic compound that helps to burn fat. Oh! One more thing about Lipodrene - if you ever decide to try it, please remember to drink LOTS of water - it helps with the weight loss and just makes your body feel great overall. I hope this review helps.

**

http://www.thinreport.com/biolean.html

The BioLean weight loss plan is a multiple-product, multi-faceted method of weight reduction. The maker seems to have made minimal effort to back up the product’s assertions or validate them with research, testing, or scientific support. Although all of the products include customary weight reduction components, it is hard to ascertain whether their unique formulas justify trying this product.

*****

As I mentioned before, I was introduced to Jenny by D'anna.  D'anna is also taking BioLean (and other supplements).  I asked her to write about how she's doing on the product and with her weight loss.  Here's D'anna's story:


I like to call myself a professional dieter. I have done Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, taken phen-phen, etc.  Now, I am doing it “my” way with diet, exercise, vitamins, and healthy supplements.  Healthy supplements being the BioLean family (www.synergywellnessgroup.com).  It took me a while to get adjusted to the doses, but I think I have mastered it.   I am in a weight loss Biggest Loser competition at work and currently in first place.  I took a break from the BioLean products for a week or so during my Office Biggest Loser competition and my weight loss became slower ~ Boo.  Not going to do that again.

Here is my BioLean regime:

Sure2Endure (increases workout endurance, decreases muscle fatigue) – 5:30 AM gym workout, for energy (3 pills/day)

BioLean (weight loss supplement, increases energy and decreases fat) – half the packet in morn, the other half at lunch (4 pills/day)

Accelerator (works with BioLean to enhance weight loss) - morning with breakfast (1 pill/day)

LipoTrim (blood sugar control) – half hour before meals (3 pills/day)

Winrgy (sugar-free energy drink powder) – bolt of vitamin-based energy at lunchtime for midday dragging from being up since 4:45 AM (mix with bev)

These products might look Greek to you.  But, each one has a significant role in my weight loss success.  I started my journey on January 3, 2011, have four more weeks to go, and am down 19 lbs and 10% body fat so far.  Whoo hoo.  Not stopping here.  I am a recent widow and want to get my “dating” confidence back up and drop a total of 60 lbs.  I can do this!  Here is to bringing our “sexy back.”

*****

So, there you go...I started blogging a little over a year ago (my first post was on January 29, 2010).  My second blog post talks about my then-current weight (225 pounds) and my "re-commitment" to losing the weight.  And here I am...another year wasted feeling fat and unhappy.  And another year ending heavier than I was the year before.  The vicious cycle needs to stop.  And so today it does.  A friend of mine recently lost a lot of weight on her own.  She said she just decided to let her body know that SHE was in charge.  She looks amazing.  And I admire that kind of willpower.  I can only hope I will have the same success.  I "only" have to lose 30 pounds.  I should have done this when it was 10 pounds, but at least I didn't wait until it was 50. 

2 comments:

  1. I have been using the Biolean & Biolean Free for the last 5 years - I lost 20 lbs and have kept it off - I love it and feel the difference when I don't take it!

    ReplyDelete