Tuesday, April 5, 2011

win2lose weight update

So I am starting my sixth week of win2lose weight.  The first month was a pretty big disappointment.  I don't feel like it was the program or product's fault.  About a week in, I had the stiletto incident, putting me off the gym for a month.  And, regardless of how carefully I track my food, I just don't drop weight quickly anymore (gone are the days of skipping "healthy" microwave popcorn for my Weight Watchers snack and losing 7 pounds of water weight in a week).  Maybe it's the surgery.  Maybe my age.  Maybe I'm lazy or I'm not logging my food properly. 

I don't want to make excuses but I am getting so frustrated.  I know I've been told over and over that losing weight after having gastric bypass surgery is REALLY hard.  Boy, they aren't kidding.  I guess your body is just scared you're going to starve it almost to death again, so if you start trying to lose weight, it really doesn't want to let it go.  Last time I decided to lose weight post-surgery, I lost about a pound a month.  Maybe that is just all my battered body is capable of and I should be happy with it.

Anyway, I didn't lose anything the first month of win2lose.  I did switch from BioLean to BioLean Free in Week Five and I lost two pounds this week.  I like BioLean Free a lot better and am looking forward to the last half of this program.

Jenny has always said that BioLean and BioLean Free are kind of like Coke and Pepsi -- they are similar products but people just seem to prefer one over the other.  They both work by stimulating "thermogenesis."  BioLean appears to stimulate the endothermic process -- making you warm.  BioLean Free appears to stimulate the exothermic process -- making you a little cold, which triggers the shiver process in the body.  The theory behind it is that shivering makes your body constantly move, thereby possibly burning more calories.  Now I don't want to be shaking like a crackhead -- and I found that taking the full dose made me feel that way.  But, for now, taking half a dose -- one pill with breakfast and one with my mid-morning snack -- is working well for me.

My back is also fully healed and I am back to the gym full-time.  So there are no excuses.  I'm VERY carefully watching my food intake (even pulled the Weight Watchers scale out to make sure I'm not over-estimating what a "handful" means) and I'm working out (making sure I include weight training).  I am trying to eat between 1,500 to 1,800 calories on days I don't work out and 2,000 to 2,200 on the days I do (depending on how many calories I burned).  Even if I only lose a pound or two a week, that's better than a pound a month.  I have been weighing myself at home every morning.  I was recently up to 232 or 233 pounds.  Today I'm 228.  So I have 28 pounds to go until my goal. 

And this time, I PLAN TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Twirly girl, if my math serves me well, sounds like you've lost 5 lbs already? Congrats! Have you tried lowering your calorie intake? I recall my nutritionist at my weight loss surgery program say that I should not be eating more than 1800 calories a day. This included working out days. She advise me on this because I wanted to do a 1500, 1800 and 2000 calorie cycle to build muscle.

    I'm 37 year old male, 3 years post op. I was just curious? Good luck and look forward in reading more about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooh....my comment got deleted and I wrote a LOOONG one. lol. Lemme try that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so let me try that again. Here's the gist of what I said.

    I have tried all different kinds of calorie combinations. Nine months after surgery, I started blacking out. I went to my surgeon and said that maybe since I'm six feet tall, I should be eating more than the five foot tall lady, which was the "standard" 1,000 calories they tell everyone to eat. They agreed and upped me to 1,500 calories. I stopped blacking out and still lost 165 pounds total.

    When I gained weight a few years back from taking an anti-depressant, I found that eating between 1,800 and 2,000 calories, and working out 5-6 days a week worked best for me. I still only lost weight at the rate of about 1 pound a month (meaning, I'd be down five pounds one week, up three the next, down two, up one...etc.). That's just how I lose weight now I guess.

    I've tried going down to 1,500 calories, I've tried 1,800, I've tried 2,500. I maintain around 2,200 to 2,500 calories, as long as I am working out 3-4 days a week. If I want to lose, I think 1,800 to 2,000 calories, working out 5-6 days works best for me.

    I know everyone is different, and men and women are different, and I'm getting older, and I'm on different medications which affect my metabolism...and, and, and... :-)

    Anyway, I'm 7 years post-op now and this is the second weight gain I'm trying to lose. Apparently I have to be happy with slow and steady winning the race because I just don't do anything fast.

    I've also learned that the doctors don't always have the best information about gastric bypass diets. I'm glad you have a nutritionist. When I was looking into surgery 8-9 years ago, they would just send you to a nutritionist that knew nothing about gastric bypass patients. So I had to build my own library of information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, thanks for reading my blog! :-) Did you join our Facebook support group page?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I saw your post on yahoo group you just recently posted on. You listed your blog and here I am.

    Wow, blacking out, that is SCARY!! Yeah so you are doing great having figuring out the right calories for you. You know - in the support groups I've been circling in Boston there lately, has been a lot of hype about gaining all the weight back (like that guy in Biggest Loser). But it is so good to hear that you, even after 7 years have kept most of it off. It is encouraging - thank you!

    I will definitely follow on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gaining the weight back is scary. Which is why I tell everyone to do what they can to make sure it doesn't happen!! :-D I definitely still consider myself somewhat of a success even though I deal on and off with gain. 30 pounds is still better than 165!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out this calorie calculator. I think what I like about it, is that it recognizes that if you cut your calories TOO much, you do yourself harm too.

    http://scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm

    Something to be careful with post-gastric bypass, but also something to consider...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Alex, I am fitness instructor. I suggest you set designed by Russian nutritionists specifically for weight loss http://fayloobmennik.com/eywiw19eujg2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete