Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The amazing and talented Shelly Lamb

What is your fitness background?

I started with Jane Fonda in the 80's, LOL...moved on to studying dance in college (age 25), started teaching pilates (certified in mat and apparatus), yoga, dance in the gyms, also were I started teaching pole fitness around 2007. 

Do you have a dance background?

I started formal training as a dancer at 25, though I think my informal dance education came as a result of my older sister dragging me along to parties when she had to baby sit. I begged for dance lessons in youth, but my parents were too poor to pay for them. Once I entered college I paid for them myself. I think dance kept me from a life of too much partying.
 
What interested you about pole dancing?

I like pole dancing because of the fitness aspect, the fact that I don't have to rely on a partner, and also because there is so much room to be creative with other dance and movement styles.
I was asked to teach pole dancing at a gym I worked at when they decided to put poles up and didn't have anyone who knew how to teach pole. I got really into it for myself about a year later.

What made you decide to start competing? 

I have a performing bug in me as a result of all the dance training and performing I have done. I got into competing more as a result of my desire to perform, than a desire to compete; other than strip clubs there really aren't a lot of opportunities for pole fitness/performing so I submitted my first pole video for USPDF in 2008/9?..gonna have to dig that up and re-post to my youtube channel. 

Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"

Pole dancing, though I do use the other term too, especially outside the pole community.

What do you think about the stripper vs. fitness debate?

I think that no matter what side of the fence you sit on the issue everyone is in agreement that it isn't the same, even the men/women that leave derogatory remarks on media posts about the subject are unknowingly agreeing that it's not the same...So I don't know what everyone is fighting about.

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?

Rubbing alcohol and Dry hands for my hands. For key grip points on my body I am currently using dew point since everything else dries my skin out so bad.

Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot?

...heels for sure.

What did you do before opening your pole studio?

Before I opened my business, I was a trainer (pilates and dance mostly). I also did a bit of performing as a theatrical dancer and worked as a go go dancer for many years.

What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole?

Creating full dances incorporating all of the dance styles i have studied, watching my clients light up when they learn a new routine or pole move.

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)?

Exogenensis (redemption) and purple rain by prince.

What do you do to prepare for competitions? 

Lots of warmup including stretching and limbering exercises (at least 30mins prior to getting on the pole to avoid injury). I take beginning contortion classes to inspire me to stretch more (I don't enjoy stretching much). I usually train on the pole about 5 days a week 1 to 2 hours per day and I stretch after each session for 45mins to 1 hour afterward, Lots of Epson salt baths (careful it is a mild laxative, lol) The last competition I overtrained the last couple of weeks prior to competing, I don't recommend this and knew better, but certain personal situations in my life kept me off the pole a month before the competition and I tried to make up for lost time...big mistake. 

**********
Shelly Lamb has her own studio in San Francisco.  Check out her website:  http://www.shellyspolestudio.com/

She is also teaching S.L.A.P.D. at Twirly Girls Pole Fitness in Pleasanton, California.
http://www.twirlygirlspolefitness.com/

Check out some photos from the Lovely Rita Fundraiser at Twirly Girls and video from Shelly's performance at East Meets West Tripole Challenge last year:






5 comments:

  1. Thank you Lori for this great interview with Shelly!!! She truly represents all women of all ages! She is a great inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, I found your blog through the Grand Dames FB page. I just started pole dancing about 3 weeks ago. I'm hooked! And I have written a couple articles about my newbie experiences for my studio. I also write my own blog. I love to find/follow blogs, glad I found yours. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, welcome to the world of pole! I'm almost two years in now and I love it. I have found a great group of women to support me (and hopefully I do the same for them). I will check out your blog! I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bel, she really is an inspiration! Amazing! I love watching her dance. I wish I could see her performance at USPDF! I'm so happy she's at Twirly Girls and I hope to be able to take her class some day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete