Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's a small world after all?

Does anyone else think it's odd that, thanks to the internet, we can be besties with people who live across the world, but most of us don't even know our neighbors? 

I mean, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.  But there seems to be a disconnect in real life.  I haven't really met anyone in my complex.  I've lived here over a year.  Yet I consider Heather, who lives across the United States and I've only actually met in person once, to be a good friend.  I chat with her at least a tiny bit almost every day. 

I don't want to miss out on friendships with cool people I might not necessarily have met without the internet.  But I kind of want to start meeting my neighbors too.  When I was coming home from the gay pride parade on Sunday, I ran into one of my neighbors.  I share a wall with this guy.  We've nodded and said quiet hello's on occasion but I've never introduced myself.  I was wearing a pink and purple tutu with butterfly wings and ribbons in my hair.  I didn't even have to tell him where I was coming from.  He said, How was the parade?  I said it was fun.  He said, you look cute!  I said thanks and was on my way.  Now that could have come across as creepy but it didn't seem like it.  And maybe I should have stopped to chat for a minute longer. 

It's like people look confused if you smile and say good morning or hold the door open for someone else. Robert touched on this in his recent blog.  There is a loss of common courtesy.  Let's bring it back.  A movement starts with one person.  Resolve to say good morning and smile at just one person each day.  You never know whose day you brightened with your beautiful face.  And hopefully they will pay it forward.  Then we might have a world full of smiling people instead of people rushing around with their heads down not paying attention anything around them.

1 comment: