Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Larissa and Dermalogica to the rescue!

I've been battling skin issues for awhile -- probably a year now.  I've been going to my dermatologist whining about my psoriasis outbreak, which is the worst one I've had in probably eight years or more.  I was especially upset by the fact that I got little patches all over my face, which has never happened.  This means I'm stressed out.  I haven't been able to get rid of the stress so I had to find a patch to cover it.  This all lead to me getting Enbrel shots, which will suppress my immune system and (hopefully) stop the psoriasis outbreak.  It's definitely better but its not fixed yet.  In the meantime, I get to suffer (and by suffer, I just mean feel ugly because it doesn't hurt or itch).

Last weekend, I went down to Southern California and stayed with my friend, Larissa Singhoff, and her husband, Wesley (of Social Sonar fame).  Although I had run into Larissa before with skin issues, and we had talked about them, this was the first time I was in her home.  Larissa is an instructor at the International Dermal Institute.  As soon as she saw me, she pulled me into the bathroom and presented me with all kinds of tiny bottles of cleansers and lotions from Dermalogica.

I normally do not like changing my skin care line.  I have been using Olay for at least ten years (and I use the good stuff too, not the cheap line), with great success.  Shoot, switching to the cheap Olay way back then was a huge step for me since I used Noxema as a teenager.  I have attempted to switch to other skin care lines twice.  Both epic fails -- one, in fact, leaving an almost-chemical burn.  I did, however, use Pro Activ successfully three years ago after a stressful situation left me with a break-out that wouldn't go away.  However, it was a pretty strong product and I only used it every few days.  The break-out cleared within a week and so I just used Pro Activ for a few months to make sure it didn't come back.  I did continue to use my own line on the off-days.  I also used the Mary Kay line when I was in my early 20's.  It worked fine, mostly because I didn't have to work very hard to have nice skin. 

Anyway, I trust Larissa, and I was getting desperate.  So I used every single product she placed in front of my greedy little face.  First, I started with a cleanser with a little bit of an exfoliant powder mixed in.  Then I sprayed myself with an anti-oxidant mist.  I rubbed in some ultra calming serum.  And finished off with barrier repair (a clear moisturizer).

I noticed the changes immediately.  The redness was knocked down several shades right away.  My skin felt softer (my chin has been feeling very rough lately -- not acne, just rough).  Maybe my 35 year old skin needs more tender loving care than I was giving it?  Or maybe my skin was finally ready for a change?

I don't know what happened but I do know that only using that skin care line for the four days I was there made a HUGE difference in how my skin looked and felt.  Although Larissa did send me home with a bunch of samples, I ordered the line for myself.  (I am especially excited to get the masque for "enraged skin."  I think if anyone's skin deserves to be called "enraged" right now, it is mine.)  I had almost forgotten how it felt to have nice skin.  I have spent my life being the girl with nice skin (I think because I sweat a lot, it keeps my skin fairly clear and healthy-looking), so having ugly skin for the last year has been brutal and has made me extremely self-conscious.

Dermalogica carries lines for all kinds of skin types.  If you are having issues, I encourage you to check out their website.  I also encourage you to speak to a professional because Larissa knew exactly what to recommend to me the minute she saw my face.  Thank you to Larissa and Dermalogica for helping me get my nice skin back!  If you'd like to contact Larissa for advice, you can find here on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, I just read your post about your skin. I can't help with your symptoms but I can help with the uglyness you said you were feeling from it. I hope your skin is doing better, nothing worse then having problem skin. I make custom blend foundation. It's totally customized towards your skin's needs. It can be used on all skin types. It's so gentle that it can be used post surgery! Additives can be added, and I can tone out any redness that you have. For $8 you can purchase a sample to see if you like it.
    I used to use Dermalogica. It's a good line. If it ends up not working out, let me know, I have a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roxanne. I'm definitely happy with Dermlogica! :-)

    ReplyDelete