Friday, October 14, 2011

The rise to the top

Have you ever wondered why a lot of celebrities become such a-holes after they are famous?  I mean, were they already pretty much a-holes?  Or did the constant butt-kissing by everyone after they gained their fame make them a-holes?  Or is it a way to protect themselves?  Clearly, not ALL celebrities are a-holes.  It just got me to thinking -- what happens as people rise to the top of whatever their field is that causes them to "forget the little people" and get so full of themselves?

I guess at some point, it might be hard to trust people newly-met because you aren't sure if they like YOU or the idea of celebrity-and/or-rich-you.  And I'm sure if you suddenly have money, every relative and friend you haven't spoken to in 20 years shows up on your door step.  I guess I kind of "get" that mindset.  After gastric bypass and losing so much weight, I started not trusting the new men I met -- always wondering, would they have liked the old me??  After awhile, I had to put it out of my head because you can drive yourself crazy with what-ifs.

I guess I feel a bit discouraged.  I really want to build community amongst pole-people worldwide.  Every single person I have personally spoken to has been really great so far.  But I see posts on Facebook about back-stabbing pole dancers and how some competitions breed hate.  I know the world in general kind of works like that, but I want the pole community to stay positive and supportive of each other.  The topic of pole dancing already causes so many outsiders to point and whisper.  Why would we want to break each other down too?  Am I being completely naive for even hoping for a happy pole world?

I wonder if, the more I put myself out there, the more I open myself up to mean people I can't trust.  I don't mean to try to say that I will ever be rich and famous, like a celebrity.  But it does kind of relate in that I wonder if part of why people have to protect themselves is because it's so hard to be a public figure and open to scrutiny?  I know I don't like to be judged! 

I feel like the world in general has become such a negative place.  So many people have little to no integrity.  A handshake and your word mean almost nothing anymore.  People don't know how to say "no," so they just say "yes" and don't come through.  I can't respect that.  And I don't conduct myself like that.  If I tell you I'm going to do something, it will be done.  I expect the same in return.  Maybe I am being unrealistic but that's how I feel.  I don't think I need to apologize for it. 

I really am excited about some of the opportunities that have opened up for me in the pole dancing world.  I plan to continue my quest to be a pole dance ambassador to promote positivity and support in the pole dancing and pole fitness community.  Every action I take and every word I speak is a choice, so I am going to try to make them good ones.  I hope you will join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment