Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Forma Gym of Walnut Creek

In August, my gym went out of business with no notice.  You can read that fun story HERE.

I turned in my Groupon to Forma Gym in Walnut Creek almost two months ago.  I got 20 classes for $20.  I believe I did my 18th class this morning.  I have spent most of the classes on yoga, but have also tried the spin class a few times.

My favorite yoga class is their version of Yin Yoga with Mandy.  It's a fairly gentle yoga where you hold stretches for a little longer than most yoga classes.  I feel like I get a good stretch and it doesn't make me sweat like a piggy.  The spin classes take some getting used to as they use Real Ryder bikes that tilt from side to side.  If you don't have a strong core, it makes standing up and riding a little difficult.  But I got a great workout the times I tried it.  This morning, I did the Forma Barre class with Chantelle.  She is a real life ballerina -- so tiny, graceful and beautiful even standing there in her sweats.  I got a great workout and I can already tell I'm going to be sore.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get in there for the TRX but all of the times haven't worked out for me.  It's either right before pilates reformer (so I'd be late to class and probably too sore to do reformer) or late at night and I'd never get to sleep.

Forma is a fairly small gym but I never felt like I lost out on anything because of it.  The spin bikes are in a really cool theater room where you can watch a movie while you run on a treadmill.  There are some cardio machines downstairs and weights upstairs.  There is also a smaller weight room right next to the group exercise room and it can be annoying during yoga when guys are throwing weights around.  Mandy is pretty good about asking people to keep it down but some people just don't care.  The group ex room is also fairly small.  Most of the time, it's not a big deal but if you're packed in for yoga, it can be somewhat disconcerting when someone else is coughing in your face or farting on your head.

I received a letter with another two free weeks from Forma so I will sign up for that.  Then I have my unlimited month that I bought at the Bar Method in Walnut Creek.  Once that is done, I will need to make a decision about a permanent replacement gym.  I do like Forma but the price seems somewhat high.  Depending on what package you choose, you could be paying $50 to $80 (or more) for unlimited access to classes.  I feel like I could spend that and go to 24 Hour with Rob and have access to a pool.  A lot of Bally members landed at the UFC gym in Concord.  I haven't actually gone over to check it out but it just seems a little far to travel to workout.

So, if the price is right, Forma may end up being my gym home.  I still have a little time to decide, but I do like it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment