Thursday, January 5, 2012

Found: Motivation

My motivation is no longer on the back of a milk carton.  Last night, I found an old picture of me (from 2009).  I'm all greasy, wearing my glasses and sweats, making cookies or something at Rita's house.  But you can see how skinny I was.  My tummy.  My arms.  My face.  And I want to look like that again.  I set the photo as the background and welcome screen as my phone.  So every time I look at my phone, which is at least 147 times a day, I will be reminded of where I want to be again.

I started the Year of the Viking strong.  Sunday, I did Twirly Tuff.  Tuesday, I had pilates reformer and taught two classes at Twirly Girls.  Last night, I had class at Twirly Girls.  This morning, I had pilates reformer.  Saturday, I have Twirly Tuff plus pole class at Twirly Girls.  Sunday is yoga day.  My Primal Blue Print 21 Day Total Body Transformation workbook showed up today.  Yeah, I'm a bit nervous about being on a "diet."  But I'm not calling it a diet.  I'm calling it "eating like a regular person."

In case I needed any additional motivation, I had an appointment with my dermatologist today to see how the Humira is working for my psoriasis.  I mean, my skin is better but it should be almost completely clear by now.  I brought up my weight gain as a possible reason that I had such a bad psoriasis flare up in the first place.  He didn't really address that but he did mention that the medication (which is a shot I give myself) isn't doled out based on weight so the heavier I am, the less the medication works since it has to cover more territory.  He did mention going up another step if we aren't happy with the results in another three months (Humira is already the second step up...I started with Enbrel).  However, this other medication only has a couple of years of research on it and I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig.  I think losing weight and letting my skin clear on its own is a better idea.

So I found my motivation. And it was in me the entire time (or, it was in my phone at least).  I am looking forward to the help I'm going to be getting from people like Doug, Bel, Rita, Dave, Rob, Jessica and John, but I know that at the end of the day, the only person who can make this happen is....ME!


2 comments:

  1. Lori doug is impressed you went out and got the book..Again I am so against the word Diet....drop the last letter and its DIE.....to diet is to deprive yourself...and any chance of changing will die....you will just eat to fuel the machine...and this year is the year of the Viking Queen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally excited to do this. Most of the time when I consider doing "diets," I figure out ways around them. This time, I'm looking forward to changing my eating habits. I think that the most important thing is to cut the sugar and carbs. I know I'll have some slip ups but if I can be good more often than not, I know this will work for me! What is the definition of insanity? Continuing to do the same thing but expecting a different result. So its time to stop the insanity and start making this work for me!

    ReplyDelete