Monday, March 5, 2012

Twirly Tuff

This year, Bel's boyfriend, Doug, started a boot camp class at Twirly Girls called Twirly Tuff. We are a starting our third month of classes, and I am still amazed at how much stronger I feel at every single class. 

I've talked about cardio and weight lifting in various posts over the last two years.

http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2010/03/rule-number-1-cardio.html

http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2011/03/buff-chicks-are-cool.html

Twirly Tuff really focuses on functional strength and exercises to help us get stronger for pole dancing. 

I've been really frustrated. I lost 5 pounds the first week I started following a Paleo diet plan -- maybe two months ago?  I had gotten up to 257 pounds and got down to 252 pounds [http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2012/01/year-of-viking.html]. I'm still pretty much sitting around that weight, sometimes up to 254, but mostly at 252. The scale hasn't truly moved in awhile -- probably in six weeks. And I haven't been below 252 at all. It's my fault. I know it. But I get frustrated. People tell me, pull this food/habit out and you'll lose weight like crazy. Do this or that, and you'll lose weight like crazy. I do or don't do what I'm told and I don't lose weight like crazy, then I think: why the hell did I just give up all of the good stuff in my life if I'm not losing weight?! 

I also know, this is how my body works. Whether it's from the gastric bypass or from getting older, I don't lose weight like I used to. Gone are the days when I could do slim fast for two weeks and drop 20 pounds. I can work out and eat well and drop five pounds overnight, then not lose a thing for months. When I lost weight a few years back, I was averaging ONE pound of weight loss each MONTH. I would lose a few pounds, gain a pound, lose, gain, all over the map. It is super frustrating and depressing.  

Last night a friend threw out the idea of not weighing myself: http://www.screwthescales.com/

It makes me nervous. The scale tells me every day if I'm fat or not. Oh wait, except I don't need the scale to tell me if I'm fat. So I'm seriously considering "screwing the scales." 

Doug had already broached this subject. How about setting a non-weight loss related goal? Mine is to do A push-up. A REAL push-up. 

I know I'm struggling with the weight loss. I NEED to lose weight and I feel like the more I focus on it, the longer it will take to happen. I recognize that I need a well-rounded workout plan and that I need to keep my binge eating under control. I had a doctor once tell me that I should cut out all weight lifting and do only cardio. I don't agree with that philosophy. However, I also know I need cardio to keep myself from getting out of breath dancing just one single song on the pole. I feel like I have a pretty well-rounded workout plan right now.  Maybe I could use a little cardio but I'm pretty much working out every day so I KNOW, I FUCKING KNOW that it can only be food causing me problems right now.  Fuck food.  Fuck it all to hell. 

So, here I am. Operation Lose the Lard Ass surely isn't going the way I wanted it to. But it seems to be the story of my life and I'm coming to a place where I think it's just easier to be fat.


3 comments:

  1. I have adopted the screw the scale mentality before and I am currently doing it again. I found it really works for me because when i only focus on losing weight according to the scale If i don't see results I get discouraged and quit. But if i work out to gain strength and be healthy and don't look at the scale. I gauge my progress on how strong i feel and how i feel about how i look.
    I also choose to screw the scale as I do a lot of weight training and muscle weights for then fat so often my weight goes up or stay the same and that frustrate me too. I screwed the scale about 4 months ago and I don't miss it. I think that i have become more toned, become stronger and i feel like i look leaner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think scales can show you smaller losses than you can see from just looking in a mirror or fit of clothing. And as a woman i don't know how any woman can truly cease caring about those things. But it can be a worst enemy too. My mum said the same about age holding her weight loss back but she's a lot older than you and she still did it so I fully believe you can too. A healthy diet (not a fad diet) and simple exercise are what I believe in, but you'll find what works for you! And nothing worth having comes easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely focusing on getting stronger and not worrying about the scale. I was at the doctor's office yesterday and they weighed me. I should have looked away but saw the number. It didn't make me happy but it's only been a freaking week. lol!!

    ReplyDelete