Friday, September 28, 2012

The Tides Are Changing

So I've been quiet since I got back from Las Vegas.  I had a blast at Pole Expo, but the day I got home, my day job boss told me he was going to have to lay me off.  I've worked for the same attorney for nine years.  It wasn't a shock but I still wasn't fully expecting it.  While fighting off a cold picked up on the plane, I immediately went into job-searching mode.  I'll make a long story short and say that I pretty quickly picked up a new job.  Only three weeks later, I start my new job as a litigation secretary at a law firm in San Francisco.  

For the last four years, my office has been virtual.  For three years, I've worked two days from my own home and three days from my boss' home.  I could wear flip flops and jeans or yoga pants every single day.  I got to play with my boss' puppy and kitten at lunch.  And work was kinda slow so I could write blogs, check Facebook or do research when I didn't have a project.  That will be no more.  All the things I could squeeze into a work day -- throwing a load of laundry in while I was working from home, picking up something at the grocery store on the way home from picking up mail -- all of that goes away and my free time becomes so much more precious. 

I have a lot of ideas I'd love to write on but with my new commute (BARTing into San Francisco five days a week), life will be changing very drastically for me.  So, if you don't see me posting as often, never fear...I'm not going anywhere, I just had to put my big girl pants on and start working in a real office again.  

I'm very excited about my new job and the benefits I've been missing the last seven years.  I won't be able to make as many pole events or write for as many side projects.  But I will still be here.  So, don't forget about me.  The Viking Warrior twirls on!

2 comments:

  1. You should write during your commute! ;) Might make the time go by faster and it could be your "you" time..Confessions of a Commuting Twirly Girl! ;) hehe, just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered it. If I had a seat, it's a possibility but I may end up standing at least half the time. I would have to type it into my phone so maybe once I'm more comfortable with sitting on BART, I'll do that. :-)

      Delete