Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pole dance is for everyBODY ~ #myfatwashere

November 2012
Recently, I saw in an article where someone said pole dancing isn't for everybody.  Ain't that the truth.  I would, however, like to talk about why I believe pole dancing IS for everyBODY.

It is unfortunate that the stereotype for those with larger bodies is that the person is lazy, makes horrible food decisions and doesn't care about their own well-being or their appearance.  Certainly, that may be true of some fat people, but it is also very true of many thin people.  Body size doesn't dictate the state of one's health -- mentally or physically.  

April 2013
Regardless of what made me, you, or anyone else fat, let's talk about what our fat bodies can do once we're there.  Some of us do not exercise.  Perhaps it is a choice.  Perhaps it is forced upon us by health issues.  That is not anyone else's business.  However, if you DO choose movement for your body, here are some reasons pole dancing might be the right exercise for you: 

~ Although there are many tricks that require what seems like super-human strength, there are also many pretty twirls and spins that can be done without ever leaving the floor. 

~ Dancing makes you feel happy.
August 2012

~ Floorwork is one of the best workouts I've ever done.  

~ Meaty thighs can be strong thighs.  Same thing goes for those arms.  Who knew I would be the queen of doing handstands?  Sure, I don't feel like I use my abs to properly lift into the handstand, but I can kick into it and I'm improving on form and technique every single time I do one. 

~ The best way to gain strength is to do things that require you to use your muscles.  So many people tell me they'll try pole dancing when they lose ten pounds (lost weight doesn't equal gained strength either).  Don't wait to live your life.  Try the things you want to try RIGHT NOW.  Sure, you may not be able to do all of the things that other people in class are doing, but it isn't a contest.  And you will gain strength and stamina the more you dance.


February 2013
There are a ton of people who pretend to be supportive of larger people getting active or "being healthy."  They give the high-fives at the gym (not necessary, thanks).  They offer kudos and diet advice if they see you eating a salad (most definitely not welcome).  (By the way, I eat salad drowned in ranch dressing, so that burger probably would have been a "better" choice if we're talking strict calories, plus it would have at least given me some extra protein.)  They post condescending "fitspiration" memes on Facebook, thinking they can shame fatties into compliance.  Please just take a step back and realize you're talking to or looking down on another human.  Someone who gets up every day and puts their shoes on one at a time, just like you.  Someone who also has to figure out how to pay the bills and make the most out of life.  Instead of sneering that the fatty at the gym who has rolls that offend you, look the other way and move on without the condescending comment or look of pity.

April 2013

Am I inverting and Iron-X'ing like I secretly hoped I'd be able to do when I started pole dancing four years ago?  No.  Not even close.  Did I know I'd have a major foot injury and surgery in my future that would slow me down and even send me backwards in my progress?  No.  But do I keep showing up every day to try to get stronger and better?  Yes I do.  And if there are those who want to sit up on a high horse looking down at me because I dare to be a fatty trying to keep my body moving, so be it.  I can't control what other people think of me, I can only control how I respond to public comments.  So I generally don't respond.  


February 2013
If you would like to try pole dancing, but haven't because you are shy or you believe you don't have the "right" body type, I would encourage you to find a studio with an instructor who understands you.  Your body might not move in the same way as other bodies.  You may have injuries, or health issues that require some modifications (hello, if you have high blood pressure, don't go upside down!).  But with the right supportive community, pole dance IS for everyBODY.  




 
If you need help finding a class, please let me know.  I have a large network of pole dancers from around the world and can help find the right class for you.

October 2013

5 comments:

  1. Love love love this! Especially your critiques about how people judge whether or not someone else is healthy based on their weight. I also love how you move the conversation forward by "talking about what you can do once we're there." Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just find it frustrating when some people sit back and say, oh all fat people are lazy f*cks....then see a fat person in the gym and make fun or act like they are taking up precious space that said "fit" person should be occupying. It's like you can't win if you're fat. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :-)

      Delete
  2. hello, lorashel! i desperately want to be good at the pole but my hands keep sliding down! how do you get a good grip? i have tried that spray but i still cant slide around the pole without my hands slowly sliding down. i never see any other plus size girls in the class so i thought it was a because i just cant hold my body weight up. what is your suggestion to improve getting a better grip on the pole and not sliding down? thank you! i hope i can one day be as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! You're very sweet! Well, some may certain have to do with the fact that we carry more weight, requiring better grip and muscle strength. But you could also have overly sweaty hands or overly dry hands (which both make you slip). Have you tried any products? For sweating, there is Dry Hands or Dirty Girl Poletice. For overly dry hands, you could try Dew Point. Aerial Amy wrote a great post about different types of grip. I will try to find it. I have friends who have used anti-perspirant roll-on on their hands because they are sweaty. For others, shaving cream on their hands gives them a little stick. There are so many products and everyone is different, so you kind of have to try a few to see what works. For me, I am sweaty on my head but not my hands. If I use product, I like Stunt Grip on my hands. For extra stick on the body, I like i-Tac (which is VERY sticky so it can sometimes be too much) or Pole Mamas grip. Good luck and let me know if I can offer any other help!

      Delete
    2. http://aerialamy.com/blog/grip-aids/

      Delete