Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Why I say Merry Christmas

Today is Christmas Eve.  I am sitting here at my desk at work.  I'm grumpy.  Sad that I'm not out playing with my family or preparing for Christmas or sitting around doing nothing.  Around the holidays, I'm always pondering why some find it SO inappropriate for others to tell them Merry Christmas.  Even if you aren't Christian, don't believe in God, Santa, or you hate Christmas, Christmas still exists.  Even the government, who feigns a separation of church and state, gives Christmas off as a holiday.  In fact, the courts are closed today so I have no idea why I am sitting in this law firm right now.  

Anyway, "Merry Christmas" to me doesn't have to mean: Happy Birthday to Jesus.  I think it has been well-established that this isn't Jesus' real birthday anyway (whoever he is to you...God's son or just some dude who lived a long time ago).  To me, Merry Christmas is a happy acknowledgment from one human being to another.  So many of us (myself included) have our noses buried deep into our phones, so we don't even see anyone we pass on the street.  I can't even sit and watch a TV show without playing a game of Angry Birds.  So, if around the holidays, I make an effort to look up and say hello, please understand that "Merry Christmas" isn't pushing some shitty Hallmark holiday or crazy religious beliefs on you.  It's just another way for me to say, "I hope you're well."

And I do hope you are all well.  Here's a happy inappropriate Merry Christmas photo to go along with my inappropriate Merry Christmas post.  Thanks to Shirley in New Zealand for brightening my day with this pole-related photo! 

Hello, boys!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Merry Christimas!! I hope you had a great day. :)

      Delete
  2. It's unfortunate that people can get offended by someone wishing them good tidings. It's not like they're hurling a racial slur! IMO people should be thankful that someone is being positive towards them rather than getting hung up on what ever religion you are. I would never be offended by someone wishing me a happy Hanukkah. To each their own! Hope your holidays were grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is unfortunate! I hope your holidays were amazing as well!

      Delete