Thursday, January 16, 2014

Why I Love Coconut Oil

I love coconut oil.  I use it on my face and in my hair.  I put it on my elbows.  I put it in my protein shake.  I use it every single day.  So I thought I should write about why coconut oil might be something you want to add to your daily routine.

According to Dr. Oz (whom I normally hate but will allow with this article), coconut oil is good for so many reasons.  Apparently it can help us fight off infections (makes sense...I haven't been sick for a long while and most of my office has been dying around me with the plague).  It also supposedly helps control the thyroid and blood sugar.  It can also help your cholesterol score by increasing the "good" cholesterol.  It can help our liver burn fats more efficiently.  And, it is a great moisturizer.  The recommended amount is one to two tablespoons.  

I actually only add about a tablespoon to my protein shake each day (which adds about 120 calories and 14 grams of fat), but I will use a small amount on my face (more if I am putting it on before the shower like a mask, or less if I am using it as a moisturizer under my make-up).  I will also take a big scoop for my hair as a treatment once a week or so.   

If you want to read more on the health benefits of organic coconut oil, click HERE:

"Coconut oil is used extensively in tropical countries especially India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Philippines etc., which have a good production of coconut oil. At one time, the oil was also popular in western countries like the United States and Canada, but there was a strong propaganda campaign in the 1970s spread by the corn oil and soy oil industry against coconut oil. Coconut oil was considered harmful for the human body due to its high saturated fat content until the last decade (2000s) when people began to question the claims of the propaganda. Next, let’s look into some more details of how coconut oil works in our body."

In the same article tagged above, they discuss organic coconut oil in particular:

"Organic Coconut Oil: The coconut oil that has been extracted from coconuts obtained from coconut palms raised only on organic manure and no synthetic fertilizers or insecticides. The production of organic coconut oil is also completed without involving any chemical in its extraction or processing. This is another well-respected variety of coconut oil. Organic coconut oil forms an integral part of a number of organic cosmetic products such as organic soaps, organic skin creams and lotions, organic snacks and thousands of other similar products."

A lot of the articles I'm finding are more concerned with refined versus non-refined, rather than whether it is organic or not.  Read on...

If you want help choosing the right type of coconut oil, click HERE

If you want help choosing your brand, click HERE.  Damn, the brand I use, Spectrum, is on the "not recommended" list.  It's the only one at Safeway I've seen!  Guess I should do some looking around!  It sounds like I need to look for unrefined, virgin, organic...  

Do you have a coconut oil that you love?  Let me know which one it is! 


2 comments:

  1. I love using coconut oil on my face. I use it around my eyes and on my dry skin. i also enjoy using it for back-rubs for Mr. KiKi. We just have tub of organic stuff that we got form a local organic store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out some other brands since mine is on the no-no list. lol. I haven't used it for massage! That's smart!

      Delete