Wednesday, June 25, 2014

How to Lower Your Cardio-Reactive Protein Level

I wrote last year about how my Cardio-Reactive Protein (CRP) level was high.  You can read that post HERE.  My "score" was 4.8.  Anything over a 1 is not desirable and anything over a 3 is considered dangerous (although technically you have up until a "10" before you should really be nervous).  It freaked me out.  I had my foot surgery last August and have been exercising again so I was excited to re-take the test this year.  Except now, I'm up to 6.1 (read that post HERE).  WTF?! 

Ellen promises me that it was the sugar in my system causing inflammation and that next year, after eating better, my score will come way down.  I really can't wait for the next year to pass.  In the meantime, I wanted to talk again about ways to lower your CRP if you do have an elevated level. 


climbing out of this health hole I dug for myself
You can take medication to help.  I do occasionally swallow a baby aspirin but I am not trying to take any medications I don't have to.  I am happily off all medications: anti-depressants, anti-anxieties, everything.  The only thing I take is a birth control pill (probably not good for me but oh well, I've been on it for 20+ years).  Otherwise, according to THIS article, I'm doing the stuff I need to be doing: eating a healthier diet and exercising regularly.
What is interesting to me (and clearly an indication, most likely, that I don't understand how this all works) is that statin drugs apparently reduce CRP.  However, I believe the drugs listed are to reduce cholesterol.  And my cholesterol is scary good "for a fat girl."  So why do I have decent cholesterol but heart-attack-high CRP?  Maybe some more research is needed. 

HERE is another article that talks about other ways to lower CRP:

Vitamin E (I took this for years then recently stopped because I understood gastric bypass patients really didn't absorb oily supplements, but I will add it back to the shopping list)

Co-Q10 (I take it every weekday)

Vitamin C (I take it every weekday)

Krill oil (I take it every day but am I absorbing it all since it is an oil??)

Vegetables and fruits (I eat tons of fruit -- probably too much but I'm trying to stay away from the candy, and I have added a lot of veggies to my diet)

Dark chocolate (Not a fan...and I'm sure I can safely skip this one without ruining my score too much)

I have a doctor's appointment this week to discuss some follow-up tests my doctor did to rule out a few potential health issues.  I guess the only thing I can really do is wait until next year and hope my dietary changes really do save my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment