Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm a good fatty

For most of my life, there has always been someone with advice.  All you have to do is...

Give up candy.  Don't eat after 5 PM.  Give up Vitamin Waters.  Exercise more.  Stand on your head for 30 seconds, grab your crotch, cough, then donate $5 to a church.  ...and you'll most definitely lose weight.

Well, I'm a good fatty.  I wrote about some of the food changes I've made in THIS blog about good fats.  For close to two months, I've been really watching what I eat.  Whole foods that I make at home.  Making better choices when I do eat out.  Skipping fast food.  Severely limiting sugar.  I exercise regularly.  And guess what.  I'm still fat!  I've lost a few pounds, but nothing like someone would expect when starting a new "diet."  When I used to do Weight Watchers, I would easily drop 6-8 pounds my first week!  Usually it was water weight, but still.  Make a small effort and the first week at least, you are a weight loss rock star.  Not this time.

While my goal when starting nutrition counseling with Ellen was not weight loss, I won't lie: A small part of me thought, this better result in some weight loss!!!  I don't regret the healthy eating, and I am really excited about how I feel and the other changes I see in my body, but I certainly do enjoy pointing out to all the fatty haters that not all diet changes result in weight loss!  I am eating well, and within the number of calories that is considered "acceptable" for my weight.  I am exercising.  And the weight is not dripping off of me. 

Want to know the best part?  My body VERY CLEARLY tells me what I should and shouldn't be eating!  Now that I am listening, I can eat something and know immediately if it contained something my body doesn't want me to have.  Sugar makes me so tired.  Too many carbs give me a headache.  I no longer feel like I'm being told I can't have things like sugar, I'm making the choice not to eat things that make me feel bad.  That doesn't mean I'm not indulging in some sugary goodness on occasion.  It's just not every day.  I even gave up VITAMIN WATERS!  I swore I'd never give up Vitamin Waters.  It tastes like chemicals to me.  Not yummy anymore at all.  Who am I?! 

Anyway, I just had my ten year post-gastric bypass check-up (HERE is my nine year vitamin post; I will do a more in-depth post later) (on a side note, don't forget THIS post about Vitamin B and alcohol).  While my vitamin levels were great (I was actually high in a couple of vitamins, so I'm going to lay off a little), I got some other not so great news.  My CRP was even higher -- 6.1 (I'll write more about this later as well, but HERE is my post about my first test) and my liver panels are off.  I have to go for more blood tests, an ultrasound of my liver and, just for fun, an x-ray of my hip (potential arthritis).  I walked in and my doctor said, I have 12 things to discuss with you -- you are one of my most interesting patients. 

I am going to schedule another DXA scan soon, but based on my home scale, I have actually lost 6% body fat since last November, however I have only lost about ten pounds (from 263 to 254).  My goals really are not weight-related, though.  I am focusing on eating healthier foods, continuing to exercise and fixing the health issues that are still plaguing me.  I'm working hard at Twirly Girls to invert.  I am timing my planks.  I am making plans to hike so I can push my cardio to the next level. 

I am so overly aware that the scale doesn't measure my worth.  But a small part of my brain still hopes...still hopes for the scale to drop.  Still feels disappointed when it doesn't.  Still celebrates when it does.  Old habits die hard.  I am and probably always will be a work-in-progress. 

4 comments:

  1. Everyone should be a work in progress. Otherwise you are boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are kicking ass at finding what makes you healthy and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a slow learner but I'm getting there. ;)

      Delete