Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Updates on vitamins and health issues

I recently had my 10th anniversary since I had gastric bypass.  My reasons for having surgery are very personal, and I recognize that not everyone supports surgery as a "good" weight loss option.  It's no one's business but my own.  So much has happened in ten years.  I lost a bunch of weight.  I gained some weight back.  I lost some weight.  I gained some weight.  Wow.  Sounds like my pre-surgery life.  Except now I get to deal with malabsorption and vitamin issues.  Each year, I have my blood tested to check my vitamin levels.  This year was no different.  In 2010, my Vitamin D (I wrote two posts on Vitamin D: click HERE and HERE) was a bit low (41).  In 2011, my iron was low, and my Vitamin D remained low (46).  In 2012, In my 9th year (2013), my Vitamin D was a problem once again (but it was up to 49...the goal is 55 or higher).  Finally, in 2013, my Vitamin D level was normal (most likely because I had switched to a dry D)! 

Why am I always upside down on health issues?
However, I also found out in 2013 that my High Sensitivity Cardio-Reactive Protein was high.  And not just a little over normal, way higher than I was comfortable with.  Under "1" is considered normal.  Over "3" is considered high risk.  I was 4.8 in March.  I retested in June and was 4.3.  I was nervous that because I was dealing with my foot injury and not as active as normal, it was causing that number to be high.  Maybe it was just measuring the inflammation surrounding my foot injury.  Who knows...it measures inflammation but doesn't tell you what's broken.  So I gave it a year and went back to test again.  I feel like I am over the foot issue now.  I have been very active -- exercising a lot more.  I've lost some weight.  I've been watching my food choices carefully.  And my number was even higher!  It was 6.1 (10 is considered very high risk).  I am so frustrated.  Ellen believes that my sugar intake was causing inflammation throughout my body and if I spend the next year eating well, she believes that number will come down considerably.  I really hope so.  I don't know what else to do. 

Here are some of my vitamin posts from the past year or so:

January 2013: About magnesium and sweat

March 2013: Vitamins Updated

My labs this year were as follows (not fully inclusive, otherwise we'd be here all day but here are the big ones that the average person will understand):

Blood glucose: 84 (goal: 65-99)
Creatinine: 0.89 (goal: 0.57-1)
Sodium: 140 (goal: 134-144)
Potassium: 4.3 (goal: 3.5-5.2)
Calcium: 9.2 (goal: 8.7-10.2)
AST: 57 (goal: 0-40; this is high, so we will be running more tests...this is a liver panel)
ALT: 37 (goal: 0-32; this is also high, so we will be running more tests...this is a liver panel)
Total Cholesterol: 163 (goal: 100-199)
Triglycerides: 66 (goal: 1-149)
HDL: 61 (goal: over 39)
VLDL: 13 (goal: 5-40)
LDL: 89 (goal: 0-99)
Vitamin D: 49 (goal: 30-100)
B1: 201.9 (goal: 66.5-200; this is actually high so I will be doing B1 or B-complex every other day instead of daily)
B12: 945 (goal: 211-946)

April 2013: About those heart issues

August 2013: Vitamins After Gastric Bypass

January 2014: Vitamin B and Alcohol

So with the exception of my c-reactive protein, I may finally have this vitamin thing down!  Only took me ten years!  Now here's hoping I can eat well over the next year and heal my body.  I'm not ready for a heart attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment