Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Confessions of a Sugar Addict

I had a super active and awesome weekend.  On Friday, I got some alone time in the studio, which allowed me to get some photos and videos with my new hair.  Saturday, I did some yoga, had a great meeting with Ellen about NCPP, then went to Volare Variety for a fun burlesque/pole show.  Sunday, I did more yoga then had a workshop with the beautiful Sasja Lee. 

Then came Monday.  I had picked up a "fruit parfait" from Whole Foods.  It's from Whole Foods, so it's healthy, right?!  Oh man.  It was so delicious.  Dip in and it's clearly custard, not yogurt (basically, it was whipped cream, custard, cake squares and a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of strawberry).  I ate half of it before I even knew it.  I sat for a second.  I didn't feel too bad.  And then it started. 

First I started sweating.  Hey, that has happened to me a lot since gastric bypass.  I know how to deal with that.  Desk fan on.  I got crazy tired.  Then my heart started racing.  I got a huge headache and I got kind of dizzy.  I sat in a conference room for about 15 minutes, hoping it would go away.  It didn't.  I tried drinking water to push it through faster.  It just filled me up and made me feel worse.  I spent about 90 minutes at work, feeling like I was dying.  I felt like I was having a migraine and heart attack all wrapped up in one.  Today, I feel hung over.  I'm up two pounds, have a headache, and just don't feel good in general.  All from sugar. Fun, huh! 

I have been doing so well over the last couple of months.  I have not gone sugar-free, but I have gone WAY-less-sugar.  I do eat fruit but have cut out all the jellybeans.  Vitamin Waters are only making an appearance about once every other week (used to be one to two daily).  I am only picking up a couple of pieces from the co-worker's candy jar instead of ten.  And not every day.  I am skipping donut day more often than not.  I turned down a salted caramel brownie at Twirly Girls last night!!!  And if I needed any more reason to cut sugar, yesterday was it. 

I've written about sugar a lot more lately, if you want to read about my lower-sugary adventures:

http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2014/06/sugar-is-devil.html

http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2014/06/sugar-and-cirrhosis-of-liver.html

My liver feels more cirrhosis'ed today for sure.  Anyway, I know sugar is bad for me and I'm mostly over the crackhead feeling of needing to eat it, so why do I do stuff like I did yesterday?  Guess it's just never that simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment