Monday, January 5, 2015

Taking a Step Back

So much has happened in the last couple of months.  My grandmother passed awayMy niece, Seneti (aka "Tsunami") was born.  My sister-in-law is Tongan.  The husband's oldest sister is called the Fahu, and I am the Fahu.  That means I need to step up my game and be the best family person I can be (plus, I will need Tsunami to take care of me in my old age)!  The holidays were crazy.  I am tired, but happy.  Very, very happy. 

I have been teaching pole for three years exactly.  And it is time for me to take a break.  Teaching at 8 PM on Monday nights has been rough since I have a regular 8:30-5 day job.  I get home around 10 PM after class and am all amped up, so it takes forever to fall asleep.  So I start every week already exhausted. 

I have long complained that I have a hard time finding balance in life.  I have so many amazing friends that I want to spend time with.  I have so many awesome adventures always presenting themselves to me.  I have to go to work.  I have to workout.  I want to visit my family.  I have a boyfriend who lives 4 hours away.  How do I make all of that fit into 168 hours each week?  Something's got to give. 

So, right now, work and family are taking center stage.  I am trying to get out to visit my brother, sister-in-law and niece at least once a week.  Luckily, my other brother, sister-in-law and "Volcano" live right across the street, so visits will be productive -- TWO BABIES...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE. 

I am not giving up on pole, however.  I will still be attending Fly Gym at Twirly Girls every other week, and I am making sure I get to Ellen's Pole Flow class each Saturday.  Past that, I want my weekends to be free so I can visit those babies and drive down to see Rob.  And, so that I don't get out of shape, my Monday and Thursday nights will swap out pole for yoga.  That means I have the potential for yoga six days a week.  Realistically, that means I will be in yoga four to five days a week, and that's ok with me. 

I have already taken a private with Ellen and have another scheduled to help me create a good routine for Robert's next fundraising show at Club 1220, and I am really excited for how it will turn out.  I love taking Ellen's class because I always come away feeling like I learned something.  I know many instructors don't know what to do with me because I advance to a certain point, then get stale.  Ellen always has a little surprise for me -- a move that I laugh at because I don't think I'll be able to do it.  But I always do (not always well, but I do execute the move), so I feel like I accomplished something. 

I am very relieved about this break.  I feel like I can't bring my A-game to teach a class if I have no game to speak of.  I am teaching the very beginning classes but I still feel like I need to find my mojo before I can truly pass it on to others. 

I don't set New Years' resolutions, but I guess deciding it is time to take care of myself is as close as I'm going to get.  What are you doing to take care of yourself in 2015?



She doesn't know it yet, but she loves when I sing to her

No comments:

Post a Comment