Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Here We Go Again!

So, less than ONE WEEK after my doctor declared our war on my left leg/hip/foot OVER, I have done it again. I'm injured. This time, I broke a toe on my left foot.

Here's a very brief recap of the history before this latest issue:

About six to seven years ago, I started having MAJOR left hip pain for no reason. Like can't-get-out-of-bed-or-walk-some-days kind of pain. (SEE this link.) I had plantar fascial release surgery on my right foot about three years ago. (SEE this link.) A year and a half ago, I flipped out of a fly gym in Las Vegas, and smacked my left foot on the wall (as well as my face on the ground). (SEE this link.) For the past 18 months, I have been seeing my doctor for myofascial release (generally weekly), as well as Tobe Hanson (usually every other month) for some crazy mind-body voodoo that perfectly complimented my doctor's treatments. In the last couple of weeks, I have been pain free. Tobe told me about three weeks ago that he didn't need to see me again unless I have a flare-up. One week before this injury, my doctor declared me cured. Yay for me. All of the pain in my body was gone. My hip didn't hurt. My feet didn't hurt. I felt fantastic. (Side note: I credit some of this disappearing pain to leaving a toxic situation, but that's a post for another day.)

Then, last Tuesday, this happened:


Breaking a toe...
Posted by Confessions of a Twirly Girl on Tuesday, March 8, 2016


Smacking the pole didn't really do much other than ruin my fan kick and sting a bit. Right after this video, I looked down and noticed my toe was facing the wrong direction. I reached down and straightened it out. That's when the pain and swelling started. I wasn't able to finish class.

Although I figured my baby toe was broken, I didn't think it was worth going to the doctor. Other than knowing he would kill me for coming in with another pole injury, I figured he would just tell me to tape it. My boss thought I should go in anyway. Wednesday night, I went to the doctor, where he told me he was fairly certain it was broken. He sent me for an x-ray the next morning -- saying that it would at least tell me if I could expect a three week or six week recovery. By Friday morning, I had convinced myself the toe wasn't broken. The bruise was still pretty fantastic, but the pain was already cut in half. However, the doctor called, confirmed my baby toe was, in fact, broken, and said that I should continue with tape, ice and rest. Boo.

So, in response, I poled (kind of) and wore heels on Sunday, then went out Monday night and stood for a couple of hours. Honestly, other than rubbing a little when I wear real shoes, the pain isn't unbearable. I think I'm going to get back to yoga (carefully) in two weeks and maybe even some pole classes after that. I don't think I can downward dog any time soon but maybe if I only do it on one leg. I certainly don't expect this injury to keep me down for six weeks. I'm an active fat girl. I spent a rainy day on the couch one recent Saturday and almost couldn't walk on Sunday. Six weeks of doing nothing will ruin me. 

I have been back in the pole game for only a couple of months but I am (or was) feeling more and more comfortable moving around the pole. Check out this video was just a minute or so before I hit my toe:


Free dance before I hit my toe
Posted by Confessions of a Twirly Girl on Tuesday, March 8, 2016


And here's some rehab floor work from Sunday:


Chunky Girls behaving badly
Posted by Confessions of a Twirly Girl on Sunday, March 13, 2016


I'm not going to let this stop me, but this sure does get frustrating when I feel like the Universe knocks me down. I feel like it may have been whispering to me and I wasn't listening, so it sent me a stronger warning. I get it. I do too much. I'm listening now. However, this is the only way I know to be. So I can't lay around on the couch for six weeks. I promise to be careful but I'm getting back in the game as soon as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment