Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Lux ATL's Stripcraft at Khrome Kitten Pole Studio

Last night, I felt lucky to join an intimate group for Lux ATL's Stripcraft workshop at Khrome Kitten Pole Studio in Vacaville.  Don't know who Lux is?  It is best taken straight from her website:


Lux ATL is a pole dancer with a PhD, a former English professor and lifelong exotic dancer turned professional pole performer, instructor, writer, and speaker. 
She is activist for women’s empowerment through radical expression of the sensual self. You can find her pole dancing and spreading feminist wisdom internationally as she tours “Stripcraft,” her workshop for women seeking to reconnect with their confidence and sexiness.


The workshop started with an uplifting speech.  Lux sat us down and told us about being badasses.  She told us to be our unique selves.  She gave us her mantra: no shame ~ no fear ~ no apologies ~ just love.  She went over the principles of Stripcraft.  She basically told us to stop acting like idiots and start loving ourselves -- or that's what I took away from it because that's what I needed to hear.  I was crying within the first 30 minutes.  She told us we needed to be vulnerable.  She showed us how to connect with an audience (boy, did she!!!).  This is the kind of thing that could be life changing.  It is something I probably need to listen to every day.  

As someone who struggles with her self-esteem and confidence, signing up for a class like this is terrifying.  What if she asks me to put my ass in someone's face?  (Oh, I did.)  What if I can't do the moves?  What if I don't move fluidly enough?  What if...what if...what if.  I've lived my whole life on what if's.  I spend so much time in my head, that I sometimes miss out on things in life.  Everything Lux talked about mirrors exactly what I've been learning through other podcasts and it was exactly what I needed to hear to know I'm on the right track.  I am awesome just the way I am.  

I have actually been listening to Lux's podcast, Stripcast.  Part of what helped me feel comfortable in class was already knowing Lux's voice.  I have heard that adorable accent tell me the most horrifying, funny and touching stories.  She didn't know it, but we were already friends.  

I am excited to take Stripcraft again at Pole Expo in Las Vegas this September.  I'm bummed that we won't get two hours so I can get the entire uplifting speech before we learn our mini routine and do lap dances for each other.  If I have the opportunity to take this full workshop again locally, I will certainly do it, and I hope you do too! 

If you take one thing away from Lux's material, let me leave you with this:  She talked about women empowering and supporting each other.  My sparkle does not diminish your sparkle.  There is room for all of us to be badass because we are all different people.  So, find ways to uplift your sisters, not tear them down.  If you have any comments about Lux or Stripcraft, please leave them below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment