Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Couch to 5k program

In the past, people have suggested I try the Couch to 5k program.  I've always said no...I don't really enjoy running so why am I going to make something I hate part of my weekly workout routine?  I "do" 5k's (or, for Annie, I do the little-more-than-three-miles) with Brazen Racing, but I walk/jog them.  If it's a flat course, I can do that in about 45 minutes.  If it's really hilly or muddy, then maybe an hour.  I am slow.  I know I'm slow.  I walk slow.  I jog slow.  I  meander.  John can do Half Dome in six hours.  AJ did it in eight.  It took me 13 hours -- both times.  John would always try to give me advice to move faster -- put on fast music and just move to the beat.  Doesn't work for me.  I'm just a sloth.  And I'm ok with it.  So, any time someone has suggested I run, I'm like, NAW!

I recently had a change of heart.  A group of Twirly Girls are planning to do the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco next year (it's the 100th annual).  It's a 12k (about 7 miles), and I understand there are some pretty nasty hills.  So, I decided I need to learn to move a little faster (hip and back problems are getting better, so it's good timing).  We may not run any of it...but I don't want to be the one holding up the group.  And I imagine the Couch to 5k program is my best bet for being able to walk/jog a 7 mile hilly course.  The program takes you from basically doing nothing to running for a full three miles non-stop.  You follow the program three days a week for nine weeks, and it starts you walking for a bit, then jogging for a bit.  Then you work up until you are jogging for 30 minutes straight. 

I don't set New Years resolutions because I don't want to feel like a failure if I don't meet them.  So, this is my goal for January.  If I finish that in two months and feel good, I can start working on their 10k program.  I will have five months until the Bay to Breakers, so it will give me plenty of time to lose weight and get in shape.  It will also help me reach my goal of inverting on the pole by April. 

Has anyone else tried the program??

No comments:

Post a Comment