Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Enbrel and psoriasis -- two week update

So I am officially two and a half weeks into my Enbrel shots.  I give myself a shot Monday and Thursday nights.  It's pretty easy.  It looks like an epi pen.  I hold it against my thigh and click a button.  It takes about 10 seconds (which is a loooooooooooooong time when you aren't enjoying whatever is going on) and then it clicks again and I'm done.  Between the Chilidog and me, there are sharps containers ALL over the house.  

I feel pretty good.  The shots do make me a bit tired and I have little red spots on my thigh for a few days after the shot.  But otherwise, I haven't gotten sick or any of the other really bad side effects that people online complained about after their fourth shot (which I took last Monday...tonight is my fifth shot).  

The nurse said I should notice an improvement after about a month but I can already see small improvements.  My arms are still pretty dry-looking but better than they were.  My face is almost completely cleared up.

So here are some pictures to show my progress.  And one of the ugly bump on my thigh.  It itches a little and you can actually feel a bit of a bump on the muscle.  I'm pretending it's just awesome muscle definition on my amazing thunder thighs!  Thunder.  Thunder.  THUNDER THIGHS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

June 17, 2011
(from 365 blog)
August 4, 2011
(about a week in)
August 9, 2011
(I was on the river over the weekend and the sun and water probably contributed 
to my skin actually looking pretty decent)
 August 11, 2011
(after four shots)
Injection site bump
(the band-aid was from Monday's shot, and the red spot was from the 
previous Monday's shot -- you alternate which thigh you shoot each time)

So, nothing to get super excited about yet.  My skin isn't as red but it's still pretty dry.  Doing Twirly Girls is REALLY rough because I can't use any of my medications or moisturizers before pole.  So Wednesday to Thursday, my skin is usually pretty scaly and nasty.  I am hoping to have clear skin within the next month or so, though! 

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I am 5 days after my second injection, as I do weekly 50cc injections and I had NO reaction to my first...I thought this is perfect as I have guttate psoriasis AND psoriatic arthritis...ya lucky girl right here..but seeing that I am not alone in my new "friend" that is blooming on my thigh, helps a lot. I can't wait to share in all of your adventures that you are so generous to share! Ciao~
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally had to move to Stelara. I did Enbrel, then Humira with no results. But Stelara cleared me right up! Good luck and I hope it works for you!! :-)

      Delete