Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Studio Spotlight: Shirley of The Studio -- Pole Dance Aotearoa

Shirley is a Facebook friend.  When I first asked her to be in my blog, I sent her the Power of Pole questions.  But now I realize she's a studio owner so I am calling this a Studio Spotlight!  It's a bit of a mix of the two -- so here's a Power of the Pole Studio Spotlight!  :-)

How long have you been pole dancing?
4 years as at 17 October (is it really that long???)

What first drew you to try it?
My recruitment agent/ friend said she did it and I thought it sounded like fun

Where do you take classes?
At my own Studio, The Studio - Pole Dance Aotearoa [http://www.polefitness.net.nz/] and with Bonnie Black from Vertical Aerial Dance [http://www.vadpole.co.nz/] in Dunedin whenever she's up in Wellington.  She's a tough mistress!

Do you have a pole at home?
Not anymore... I have 11 to play with at The Studio  :O)

How often do you pole?
6 - 15 hours p/w, Friday and Sunday are rest days and I get the odd Tuesday.

What else do you do to keep your body in shape to pole?

A functional fitness strength class each week, which we call Vertical strength.  This is run by a friend who is an amazing fitness professional and has designed this class for pole dancers to gain strength.  She also takes monthly splits workshops for us too.  Other than that, nothing but pole.

Do you like to dance in shoes or barefoot?
Barefoot is preferred.

How do you deal with dry skin on pole days and on off-pole days?
Aveeno moisturing cream in the morning does the trick all year round.  On really bad days (winter), I've been known to wax a pole to get grip.

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?
Skin!

Where do you buy your pole clothes?

At chain stores  Usually leggings that are heading to "legging heaven" get cut down at mid thigh and turned into pole clothes and I just purchase singlets from chain stores.

What is your favorite song to dance to right now?
It depends on the mood - Krezip "It's probably me" is one I'm working on as a routine; the Roxanne Tango from Moulin Rouge and a pile of others, including classical.

How do you feel like pole has improved or changed your life?

I've dropped a lot of fat, I get enamoured with my biceps (justifiably so too) and I'm a lot healthier and stronger than when I started.  I'm also a lot less concerned about my body image and my self-esteem has improved: so what if I have a wobbly belly or cellulite, I can hang upside down by one knee and do oblique sit ups off the pole... which is more than a lot of people can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment