Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Studio Spotlight: Studio Jasmine!

Here is another Twitter friend to add to our ever-widening pole dancing circle (I can actually see little poles with dancers on them across a map of the world...maybe someone can create a logo!!):  This is Jasmine Grace!

What is your fitness background?

I figure skated about 3-4 times a week growing up. I was on a synchronized ice-skating team for 6 years and we disbanded when everyone went off to college. After I quit skating I didn’t follow any fitness routine at all and slowly gained 40 lbs over 4 years time. Then I found pole dancing! It has transformed my body and it is helping me to get into the best shape of my life.



What is your fitness routine (on and off the pole)?

I try to pole dance 2-3 times a week. I am working yoga and pilates into my fitness routine about twice a week as well. I do a short yoga session before bed when I have the time. It really helps relax my back muscles for a better nights sleep.

What kind of diet do you follow?

I’m really bad about what I eat. I don’t eat very healthy at all to be honest so I rely mostly on portion control. I eat a few small meals throughout the day when I am hungry.

Do you have a dance background?

I have no dance background. I have never taken a dance class in my life but like I said before I figure skated for quite some time so it did have its benefits.

Do you compete (pole fitness or any other kind of fitness competitions)?

I have never entered a pole competition before. I just started out about a year and half ago and I have tremendous stage fright. When I was younger, I never once skated solo in a competition. I always competed with my team, which consisted of about 15-20 girls. I am still working up the courage to dance in a pole competition. Maybe next year at the pole convention?

What interested you about pole dancing?

At first, I just wanted to learn to dance around the pole and do a few spins for my husband. When I went to youtube to find some moves to learn I found a whole community of people using it as an apparatus to do gravity defying stunts that looked literally impossible to execute. I kept thinking to myself, how are they doing that? And with such grace? I was hooked from that day on! I have been teaching myself from youtube ever since!


Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"

I don’t really have a preference, but I do find myself using the term pole dancing more often. I think it describes my style more. I don’t just do it for the fitness aspect. I like creating a lyrical dance.

What do you think about the stripper vs. pole fitness debate?

Dancing is dancing and talent is talent! It really all depends on the approach and the demeanor of the dancer.  I think pole dancing has roots everywhere. It is hard to pin point it and say that it came from one specific place. Every country approaches pole dancing differently, some countries very differently, and other countries only slightly. I think we should remain more focused on where pole dancing is headed versus where it has been!

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?

I have not experimented with any product yet. It is on my to do list. I’m really interested in trying itac2.

How do you deal with the dry skin on pole days (and on off-pole days)?

I don’t get dry skin that much. I just use a little bit of lotion on my off pole days. I never use lotion on the days when I am on the pole.

Where do you like to buy your pole clothes?

I love Bad Kitty Exoticwear, especially their Pole Fit collection! I’m about to buy an outfit from PoleSkivvies to support a fellow poler. From what I have heard, I won’t be disappointed!


Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot?

I prefer to dance barefoot. I think it is very sexy when pole dancers wear heels in their performances, but for everyday practicing it’s just not for me.

What did you do before opening your pole studio?

I recently just graduated in 2010 with a BFA in graphic design. I had a hard time finding a job after school, so I decided to spend some time designing an online pole studio for self-taught pole dancers, like myself.

How did you come up with the name for your studio?


The name of my studio is Online Pole Studio, and it is simply that because I feel like my website is a giant online pole studio for everyone across the globe to instruct and share knowledge about pole dancing for no cost.

What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole?

I love the thrill! I never thought I would ever be hanging from the pole by just the skin of my leg. I always wanted to take gymnastics and dance classes growing up but the figure skating classes already broke the budget. It is hard to believe that buying my first pole would lead me to learning both.

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)?


“You and I” by Lady Gaga


What else would you like people to know about you or your studio?

Online Pole Studio is a great instructional aid for self-taught pole dancers. It has a pole moves glossary divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced moves. There is also a photo gallery, videos section, FAQ section, members section, and a forum coming soon!

You can sign up for a membership at Online Pole Studio for free at this web address: http://www.onlinepolestudio.com
Upon signing up you can create a profile, add friends, upload photos, connect your YouTube channel, and socialize with other pole dancers!

My youtube channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/onlinepolestudio

My Twitter name is @studiojasmine I follow back all dancers!

No comments:

Post a Comment