Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Power of Pole: Here's Ann!

Another pole sister from our Pole Dancers United group!  Meet Ann!

How long have you been pole dancing?
I pole danced for 3 years when I was in my early 20's back in the early 1990's. Yes, I was hanging upside down by my ankles even back then...lol. A few years ago I bought a pole, in hopes it would help me to lose some of the weight I had gained. To date I've lost 76lbs and I am still slowly but steadily losing more. I've been poling again for just over 2 years now, minus about 4 months from when I had to have surgery and my recovery time after it. I'm still dealing with a few health issues, but weight wise I've got 37 more pounds to go to be happy with where I'm at. 
 
What first drew you to try it?
I was a gymnast for 12 years and bars were my favorite, so is it any wonder I fell in love with the pole.

Where do you take classes?

I've taken a few at two different studios but I have also opened up my own studio, Pole Fun Fitness. So I teach it and do pole parties now too.

Do you have a pole at home?
I have 3 at home. One in the bedroom, one in the living room and one in the spare bedroom. Cause you never know where you'll be when you get the urge to do a pole move..lol.

How often do you pole?
A minimum of 3 times per week. Just finished going through some health problems that has slowed me down a little again but I'm back at it now.

What else do you do to keep your body in shape to pole?
I walk - a lot, I do Zumba and aerobics. I also stretch, all the time. I mean seriously all the time. Even sitting in the chair watching TV I'll have a leg stretched up to my head and my husband just looks at me and shakes his head..lol.

Do you like to dance in shoes or barefoot?

Depends on my mood really. I dance barefoot the majority of the time, but there are times when I'm in a stiletto mood.
 
How do you deal with dry skin on pole days and on off-pole days?
I use lotion on a regular basis to keep my skin moisturized . However, I shower BEFORE I pole, then after, to make sure I have no lotion residue on me. It works pretty well.

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?
The only thing I've ever used is Mighty Grip.

Where do you buy your pole clothes?
From every where! I own a lot of Danskin stuff and I've recently fallen in love with Sweet Vixen Corture.

What is your favorite song to dance to right now?

I dance to a lot of rock. My all time favorite to dance to is St John by Aerosmith.

How do you feel like pole has improved or changed your life?
It's improved my life from a physical standpoint in every way possible. Aside from the weightloss and the toning of my body and increase in strength and flexibility, when I first started to pole I had high cholesterol and had to take meds for it. I don't take them anymore and it's now on the low side being 100. Mentally and emotionally it has brought my confidence level way up and has allowed me to accept my body more. The pole community is full of some AMAZING woman (and men) and everyone I meet, be it in person or on line, inspires me in one way or another. Pole may be something some start out "trying" just to see if they like it. But it quickly becomes a lifestyle. I'm always thinking about what move I'm going to learn next, or an existing one I want to tweak, or some move I dreamed of and then I try to to replicate it and translate it in to real life. There is a freedom in pole dance that can't be found anywhere else. A point where the body and the movement and music all become one. That's what keeps you coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment