Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pioneer of Pole: Fawnia Dietrich

For all of us little, itty, bitty baby pole dancers, mainstream pole dancing most likely wouldn't exist without this woman. She was the first person to open a pole dance studio -- she called it exotic dance school. I am so honored that she has agreed to be part of my blog. This is Fawnia Dietrich!

You were the first pioneer who helped bring pole dance/fitness to the mainstream. You opened your exotic dance school after starting to dance in 1994 and you were the first to release pole dance DVDs. I have seen the power of pole dancing change the lives of so many women. How does that make you feel?

I feel so great! Every day I am over joyed knowing that the world is seeing and feeling my vision of what pole dancing is really about. When I worked as a stripper in 94 - 96 it wasn’t about me taking off my clothes and many of the costumers agreed. In Canada we performed on stage only, especially in 94 and 95 (before lap dancing became more popular), and men would approach me after my show and compliment my theatrics, and athleticism on the pole. Pole dancing and exotic dancing made me feel power and in complete control of my life. Many people are born again Christians, while I was a born again dancer.

How do you feel pole dancing has changed since then?

Since the mid 90’s when it was mainly strippers who had access to a pole and danced, pole dancing is now being viewed as a way workout, a way to heel, a way to empower. Today it’s a way of life and I know many women who, when they travel, have to find a studio in that area to train it; “get their fix.”

Who are other pole pioneers that you admire?

We are all pioneers in pole dancing as you can bet “pole fitness” will be around for thousands of years thanks to all of our efforts. We are the first generation and we should all be very proud.

You now own Pole Fitness Studio in Las Vegas. When did you move from Canada?

I moved to Las Vegas, NV in 2005 and I am really happy here. I love meeting all the amazing women (and men) from around the globe who make it to Vegas at least once in their life time, many of whom have owned my instructional DVDs (or VHS tapes).

How did the Pole Expo come about?

I have participated in 15+ trade shows myself being a fitness model and writer for BodyBuilding.com and several other health related businesses I have a vision of how an expo would really bring everyone together and take our fast growing community to the next level.

I feel that our industry would benefit and grow from an event that is focused on bringing product suppliers and manufactures face to face with the athletes who use them, and offer seminars and workshops by our Pole Stars and experienced leaders all in the same room. There will also be pole dancing and floor work workshops, a male pole dancing competition and a Pole Star and group showcase. Pole Expo, is where history is made and the future is born, all in fabulous Las Vegas! http://www.PoleExpo.com

Tell us one thing about you that people might be surprised to hear.

Well I wear glasses (when I read) and I belonged to the Mormon church until I was 15, at which point I moved away from home and started a life of my own.

What does 2012 hold for you?

In 2012 I will be home more compared to 2011.

March 18th and 19th I am offering my advanced pole dance instructor certification, levels 5 and 6 in Vegas.
March 20th – 25th Visiting my family in Victoria, BC Canada.
April 15th – 18th I am offering my basic pole dance instructor certification, levels 1 – 4 in Vegas.
June 20th – 21st Attending Pole Convention in Los Angeles.
August 24th – 26th Judging, teaching and performing at The Great Midwest Pole Dance Competition and Convention in IL.
Sept 1st & 2nd I will be judging, teaching and performing at Miss Pole Dance Canada.
Sept 6th – 8th I am hosting Pole Expo in Las Vegas!
Sept 9th – 11th Offering my basic pole dance instructor certification, levels 1 – 4 in Vegas.
Oct 1st Judging the World Pole Dance Competition – City and Country TBD
Nov 4th – 11th Dance Wicked for a Week in Jamaica, offering workshops and performing. Join us!

Thank you so much for being part of my blog. I hope to meet you at the Pole Expo in September!

Yes, see you in September Lori. I can’t wait to meet you too!
Thank you so much for the interview.
*****

Please visit Fawnia online or in person:

http://www.poleexpo.com/

http://www.polefitnessstudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment