Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Spotlight on Aerial Amy!

Thanks to Chwenny's post, I recently found the blog of Aerial Amy.  I love her posts!!  I need to start practicing my vagina monster!!!!

*****

What is your fitness routine (on and off the pole)?
In a typical week, I teach pole for 5 hours, take 3-5 hours of pole classes as a student, do flying trapeze or lyra for 2 hours, and take a 1-hr pilates class or private.

What kind of diet do you follow?
I eat what tastes good! I find that the more activity I do, the more that my body gives me cravings for specific foods and I find unprocessed and healthily prepared foods to be more tasty. But I don't hold myself back from anything. I need a meal every 3-4 hours or I get hangry (hungry + angry), and I tend to eat a lot. My friends and I have a "post class meat" tradition where we eat Korean barbeque right after pole classes, and lobster rolls after flying trapeze. It's an excuse to eat the protein you need after a workout and socialize =)

Do you have a dance background?
Nope, none at all!

Do you compete (pole fitness or any other kind of fitness competitions)?
No, I don't. I started pole dancing to boost my self confidence and I've come to accept myself, flaws and all, through that. I don't have any interest in being judged by others!

Do you teach pole classes?  If so, where?
I teach beginner through advanced at Shockra Studio in Manhattan.

Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"
I feel like pole dance is a more inclusive label and a more accurate way to describe movement that includes the sensual aspect of pole that I love. I don't think you have to be "fit" to pole dance!

What do you think about the stripper vs. pole fitness debate?
I don't think that it is a "vs" situation except for a few people who have made it so; I'd like to think that for the most part, we try to be accepting of one another and respect our differences. I think that people will always judge, and be afraid, of power and sexuality. I don't think it's realistic that even within our own ranks, we will agree: we are all here for different reasons, and getting something different out of pole, and that is beautiful, and okay!

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole?
I'm always experimenting (I'm writing a blog entry about grip aids with a slightly different perspective that I'm very excited about, watch out for it!) but right now it's Dew Point or iTac on the contact points of the legs, and Dry Hands when I need extra grip on my hands!

How do you deal with the dry skin on pole days (and on off-pole days?)?
I wrote an entry about this already-- I hope you don't mind that I link to it here =)
http://aerialamy.com/blog/2011/03/09/dryskin/

Where do you like to buy your pole clothes?
I'm a diehard fan of the Bad Kitty Brazil PoleFit shorts (full disclosure, I write for the Bad Kitty Blog) because they make everyone's butts look ridiculously good. For tops I always wear LuLuLemon Athletica sports bras-- they have great detailing, I never fall out, and they are rugged and last forever.

Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot?
Both, and it depends on my mood, the song, and the lighting =)

What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole?
I love that I have learned so much about myself through the 4+ years that I've been pole dancing. I love the self expression, the catharsis, and the friends that I've made.

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)?
Oh boy. Don't you know I have a music downloading problem? Here's one of the songs that I'm posting in Thursday Tunes this week, that is on my list for the next time I freestyle: "2, 3, 4" by Jonneine Zapata.

*****

Please check out the Aerial Amy website, read her blog and join her on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment