Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pole Girl Up: This is Cleo from Bobbi's Pole Studio!

As we continue learning about our pole sisters from around the world, we welcome Cleo, The Hurricane!  Cleo is Miss Pole Dance Australia 2012 and an instructor at Bobbi's Pole Studio in Sydney.

Do you have a non-pole dance background?

I did ballet and gymnastics as a kid. Quit ballet when I was a teenager coz I hated it and took up the drums and guitar..played music most of my teenage years and in my 20's. Also did Capoeira (a Brazilian martial art) for a few years then took up pole when I was 27..

When did you first start pole dancing?

In 2007 

How did you find Bobbi's Pole Studio?

Since the beginning of my pole life I've always been a fan of Bobbi.. I found her on youtube and would always look at her videos as well as her teachers. I just thought they were in a league of their own and dreamed to be one of them!!! I had a private with Bobbi before my first competition and surprisingly I got through to the finals that year. After the competition I emailed her saying how much of an amazing experience it was and how awesome I thought the Bobbi's girls were and that I'd love to come to Sydney to train with them and she offered me a job shortly after that. I was so shocked.. I said Yes straight away, packed up my life and moved to sydney. Have not looked back since!

You won Miss Pole Dance Australia for 2012.  I'm a rock chick and looooooooooooved your music choice.  Your costume was off the hook as well.  How do you prepare for competitions?

My music and theme are very important to me. I always try to use epic songs and build a theme based on a song. But it always changes, the song may change or the costume might develop into something totally different. This 'lightning bolt' theme started off as a Kiss theme, I wanted to use 'god of thunder' and have a Kiss inspired costume in black and silver with lightning bolts. Then I found out that someone else was doing Kiss for the same competition so I changed my music and altered the costume design to make it a more futuristic theme. As far as training I start working on tricks and combinations about 2 months prior, probably about 2 days a week and then another day on chorey. I would think about it all the time, go through combos in my head, go to sleep and dream about it... to be honest I probably think more about it than actually doing it.. Some of my training sessions I just listen to the song over and over again and do the tricks with my hands.. and maybe bust out a couple combos on the pole to see if it goes with the music. I probably only do the routine in full maybe twice before a comp. In saying all this I teach advanced classes at Bobbi's and we are always working on new stuff and I'm always teaching them new tricks/combo ideas..



Do you prefer competitions or showcases?

Definitely showcases. But I like the lead up to a comp, the excitement, the training, the planning.. the day of a comp is very stressful.

What kind of fitness routine do you follow on and off the pole?

I teach pole approx 15-20 hours a week and do shows regularly. Off the pole I don't do anything else really. 100% pole for fitness.

Do you prefer to dance barefoot or in shoes?

Definitely shoes. MASSIVE SEXY STRIPPER HEELS to be exact.

What do you use to help you stick to the pole?

Shaving cream, hair spray, dry hands, mighty grip.. whatever is there I guess!

What trick is your nemesis?


Anything that requires back flexibility

What are your favorite songs to dance to right now?

Anything by Steel Panther because they fuckin rock

 Tell us something people would be surprised to hear?

I was born in Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean and moved to Australia when I was 11.

What does 2012 hold for you?

World finals, touring the states and Brazil. I also have a new boyfriend after 3 years of being single so that will be fun!

Thank you so much for being part of my blog.  If you ever make it to the states, please let me know.  I would love to meet you!  Likewise, if I ever make it to Australia, I will be looking you up.  :-)


I'll be there in May and June! xx






4 comments:

  1. My God can she move! What an amazing dancer! I love how quick and controlled she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?! So jealous...I want to move like this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must train at Bobbi´s Pole Studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! Although I am scared of the spiders in Australia so I'm not sure I can go over there. hehehe.

      Delete