Thursday, August 2, 2012

Insurance For Your Pole Dance Studio

So you have decided to open your own pole studio.  You've chosen the location and picked your poles.  You have the most amazing flooring and mirrors on the wall.  The sound and lighting are perfect.  You're about to open your doors and you are just waiting for the stream of brand new pole dancers to come through.  

Oh wait, first you need insurance. 

Many people don't know this but this Twirly Girl's day job is working as a litigation secretary/paralegal.  I have spent the past nine years working for an attorney who specifically does insurance coverage.  That is, we represent insurance companies and he gives advice -- usually about which loopholes the insurance companies can use to deny coverage. 

Many pole studio owners and/or instructors have mistakenly picked up the wrong insurance.  If you have insurance for general fitness, yoga, pilates, etc., you are most likely NOT going to be covered by your policy if a student in six inch stilettos inverts and falls on her head.  

Pole Skivvies wrote a post about Mary Ellyn Weissman's quest to find the RIGHT policy for pole dance studios.  You can read that post HERE.  The company that she is backing has a website called Insurance For Pole Dancers

Through an internet search, I have also found another company that offers pole studio insurance specifically.  You can visit their website HERE

Regardless of which company you decide to use, please make sure they understand that you have pole dancers in your studio.  Maybe you need to use words like "circus training" and "gymnastics" (aerial silks are considered a circus act and are VERY expensive to insure).  If you have instructors other than yourself, you will need to insure them separately.  Some policies will not cover students wearing heels.  Some won't cover students who invert.  Most won't cover anyone that allows alcohol anywhere near their studio.  So please find an insurance broker you can trust, let them know all about your studio and make sure you protect yourself and your students with the right insurance!


  1. What are guidelines as far as insurance vs waivers for each student

    1. Hi! I'm not sure what you mean by guidelines but waivers do not replace insurance. Waivers should definitely be signed by each and every student (in fact, at our studio, we have students sign new waivers every single year). But you need insurance as well.

  2. What about if you are teaching out of your home studio instead of a commercial property? What kind of insurance would you need then? Also, I read in another blogt that you need to be a certified instructor in order to receive coverage. Is that true?

    1. I personally would have insurance. If someone was injured, they could sue you personally and potentially take your house in a judgment. It seems worth spending money on a policy. You'd have to contact your insurance agent to figure out the right policy for your state and business. It is possible your homeowners insurance may be enough. Again, only your insurance agent can tell you that. Same goes for whether you need to be certified. I think different insurance companies have different rules.