Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Vitamin D3 (dry) and Gastric Bypass

Yesterday, I updated my vitamin list and today, I wanted to talk about why Vitamin D dry (or at least a non-softgel) is a better fit for gastric bypass patients.  We are malabsorptive in general of vitamins and nutrients after our intestines are re-routed, so certain vitamins don't absorb as well as others.  That includes Vitamin D in a softgel. 

I found a link comparing various Vitamin D supplements for gastric bypass patients.  Why re-invent the wheel?  Check out that article HERE

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery points out that gastric bypass patients are at greater risk for vitamin D deficiency due to having part of their small intestine bypassed. They should get regular blood tests to monitor their vitamin D levels and supplement as necessary.

Linus Pauling Institute explains that D3 is absorbed best by everyone, including but not limited to gastric bypass patients.

...softgels filled with oil ... don't work well for gastric bypass patients since they malabsorb fats.

And from the ThinnerTimes forum, read the entire post HERE.

50,000IU gelcaps of vitamin D are always D2 (Ergocalciferol).

We absorb the dry form D3 (Cholecalciferol) far better. D3 is the human form; D2 is the non-human form found in plants and is cheaper!

But apart from that, people with malabsorptive procedures absorb the dry forms of the fat soluable vitamins A, C, D and E over the oil based supplements.

Regarding vitamin D, this is from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement -- Houghton and Vieth 84 (4): 694 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

The top two bariatric supplement companies: Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage only use D3 (Cholecalciferol).

The cheapest 50,000IU dry form D3 I know of is from vitalady - $21.49/100 tabs:
Vitalady.com - Protein Supplements, Vitamins & Minerals and Safe Snacks!

So, there you go.  Sounds like dry Vitamin D3 is our best option for absorption.  What I need to research next is whether sitting in the sun is as effective or better than taking a supplement.  I'm always looking for reasons to get a little extra sunlight. 

Does anyone else have anything to add to this?  I had to add Vitamin D into my vitamin regimin two or three years ago.  I was low and my doctor said to add it in.  My levels are back to normal but I still take a dry D3 every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment