Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Poletry in Motion: Kinetic Arts Center

In November, I wrote about attending a show at Kinetic Arts Center in Oakland.  I was re-reading the post and realized, I almost come off sounding like Sean Michael didn't deserve his win.  When I said I felt guilty voting for him, it wasn't because he wasn't amazing, it was just because, well how do you vote against CHILDREN?!  I hope no one (meaning my lovely Sean Michael) read that and took offense. 

So, before the show, Kinetic Arts had set out props and fun things for people to use in photos.  The winner would receive a free class.  Of course, I took a ton of photos and bombarded their Facebook page.  I think they only let me win so I'd stop posting pictures!  (In fact, Rita and AJ were invited to come to classes as well.)  I was so excited to win but then came time to choose a class!  They offer so many different type of circus and aerial art classes (in addition to strengthening classes such as pilates, yoga and parkour).  They welcome all ages and fitness levels.  It is easy to choose which class might work for you, as the schedule clearly states the ages and level of experience required for each class. 

I toyed around with trying the beginner trapeze, rope and tissue class on Sundays, but ultimately chose Pole Fit & Play with Luiza on a Thursday night.  What a great class!  The pole room has four poles and there were five girls in class (not including Luiza).  I felt like we all shared the poles really well without interrupting the flow of class.  We started with a really intense but much-needed warm-up, then Luiza taught some simple dance choreography.  If there were moves that I couldn't do, she had alternatives ready.  Luiza is a beautiful dancer and I really enjoyed learning from her.  I also adore her because she is Sean Michael's pole mama!  Everyone was very welcoming and I felt right at home.

There is so much more to do at Kinetic Arts.  Of course there are pole classes, but if you want to try any kind of circus classes or at least be conditioned like a circus performer, this is the place to go!  Please check out their website and let me know if you are going to take a class!



No comments:

Post a Comment