Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Covid Chronicles: Meet Caroline!

Depending on where you are, we are about three months into a shelter-in-place in response to the covid-19/coronavirus pandemic. (Keep in mind regarding timing, these blogs are being rolled out slowly, so some people may have filled out their answers up to a month ago.) One hundred years from now, how will we look back at the unprecedented “closing” of the entire world in response to a virus? There is a lot of hate being thrown at governments and politicians. One side feels they aren’t taking this seriously enough. The other side feels like our freedoms have been taken from us and we should re-open immediately. No one is happy. Underneath all of that are individuals and families just trying to make it. Some of us are single and sheltering alone. Some of us are in crowded households with no time or space to ourselves. I wanted to capture the stories of those individuals...my friends. How are they dealing with all of this? I wanted to do this blog to celebrate those people who are holding it down during some really difficult financial and emotional times.

Tell us your first name and a little bit about yourself.

Caroline Alexander, I am 53 years old and employed in an animal shelter.I enjoy pole dance, animals, and websurfing. I was pet sitting but not now due to no one traveling!

In which part of the world do you live?

Gilroy, California.

Are you sheltering in place alone or with others? Tell us about your “quarantine” family.

With my husband and pets (many of them!) 2 cats, 2 dogs, bunches of reptiles, and 4 birds.

On a scale of 1-10, how have you been at this whole sheltering thing anyway? 1 means you are essentially carrying on as if nothing is going on. 10 means you’re not leaving your house for any reason and having everything delivered to you. (No judgments here...just curious how people would self-rate.)

8

Do you know anyone who has/had covid-19?

No.

If you are alone, how are you handling the isolation? If you are with others, how are you handling that?

If I was alone, I would call friends/text them.  I'm handling it okay sharing with my hubby.

Are you able to get out and enjoy nature anywhere near you?

Yes, went on a walk on a trail yesterday at the park down the road.

What kind of self-care habits have you put in place to keep you sane?

Web cam pole classes, walking, coloring, eating healthier.

What kind of work do you do? Are you able to work from home? How is that going?

I am an Executive Assistant at an animal shelter. I work from home 3 days a week and go in physically two days a week. It is going okay but I do miss seeing all my coworkers!

Be honest...you’ve cut your own hair, right?
No, I wouldn't dare try. I have colored it using color depositing shampoos though.

What surprising positive thing has happened because of the time being spent at home/with family?

I have learned to appreciate my husband more than ever.

How are you doing birthdays and other celebrations with all of the restrictions in place?

Via Zoom or just facetiming.

What changes do you think you will permanently implement after this experience?

Staying more connected with others.

Are you ready to get back into the world (with safety precautions in place)?

Hell yeah!

Which TV shows have you been watching and what do you think everyone else should start?

What We Do in the Shadows

RuPaul's Drag Race

What are you happy to leave behind in the “old world?”

Bad traffic.

What can you appreciate most about the “new world?”

Less traffic, more me time, more time for home projects.

What is the first thing you’re going to do when the shelter-in-place is lifted?

Go back to pole classes at studio and set up a color appointment with my stylist.

Who is the person you have missed seeing most during this time?

My pet sitting clients and their pets.

What song would best represent the time you’ve spent at home?

Marilyn Manson's "Odds of Even"

In a fantasy world where the virus doesn’t exist and money isn’t an issue, where is your dream vacation destination?

Australia or Galapagos Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment