Pages

Monday, June 8, 2020

Covid Chronicles: Meet Robert!

Depending on where you are, we are about three months into a shelter-in-place in response to the covid-19/coronavirus pandemic. (Keep in mind regarding timing, these blogs are being rolled out slowly, so some people may have filled out their answers up to a month ago.) In addition, the horrific death of George Floyd at the hands of a police officer has caused civil unrest and forced curfews in many areas recently, adding to the isolation and frustration for many. One hundred years from now, how will we look back at the unprecedented “closing” of the entire world in response to a virus? There is a lot of hate being thrown at governments and politicians. One side feels they aren’t taking this seriously enough. The other side feels like our freedoms have been taken from us and we should re-open immediately. No one is happy. Underneath all of that are individuals and families just trying to make it. Some of us are single and sheltering alone. Some of us are in crowded households with no time or space to ourselves. I wanted to capture the stories of those individuals...my friends. How are they dealing with all of this? I wanted to do this blog to celebrate those people who are holding it down during some really difficult financial and emotional times.

Tell us your first name and a little bit about yourself.

My name is Robert. I am 47 years old and have been with my husband over 25 of those years. We live in a townhouse with our three boys, Killer, Butch and Diesel.

In which part of the world do you live?

Hayward, CA

Are you sheltering in place alone or with others? Tell us about your “quarantine” family.

I am Sheltering in Place with my Husband and our three yorkies. However, I spend the day alone, working at home, as my husband is still operating his business.

On a scale of 1-10, how have you been at this whole sheltering thing anyway? 1 means you are essentially carrying on as if nothing is going on. 10 means you’re not leaving your house for any reason and having everything delivered to you. (No judgments here...just curious how people would self-rate.)

8, I go out for the essentials and to help my husband at his shop. Other than that, I pretty much stay home.

 
Do you know anyone who has/had covid-19?

I know five people that have been infected with Covid-19.

If you are alone, how are you handling the isolation? If you are with others, how are you handling that?

I spend the day alone, answering the incoming phone calls for the law firm that I work for. I have found that the lack of face to face social contact has affected me and my depression levels. I am just taking it day by day, some better then others.

Are you able to get out and enjoy nature anywhere near you?

I take my boys out at lunch and spend a half hour a day in our courtyard, but that is about it.

What kind of self-care habits have you put in place to keep you sane?

Keeping the home clean, plants watered and so on have helped me stay distracted of the whole situation. I also join in on Zoom gatherings for AIDS/LifeCycle when I can to have face to face conversations with others. Also, cutting strings, I have started to clean up my Facebook and un-friending people. I want to read about and see the people that contribute to our society, not the ones that feed off of it.

What kind of work do you do? Are you able to work from home? How is that going?
I am a receptionist for a law firm out of Oakland. I was sent home with a lap top that allows me to answer the incoming calls and transfer them to the right recipients. For the most part, it’s been seamless and works the way it should. The one thing that does suck, I am tethered to the lap top as the head phone are not wireless.

Be honest...you’ve cut your own hair, right?

Yes, I have cut my hair a couple times, during Shelter In Place, but I have been cutting my own hair for years.
 
What surprising positive thing has happened because of the time being spent at home/with family?

Well, the plants are happier as I have been more responsible on watering them.

What changes do you think you will permanently implement after this experience?

I know there will be permanent change by the time this is all over, I just don’t know what all it will be. I hope that it’s the stars will stay a little brighter, the air a little cleaner and neighbors a little friendlier.

Are you ready to get back into the world (with safety precautions in place)?

I am ready to get back out there, hang out with friends, make new ones… oh, and go to Disneyland

Which TV shows have you been watching and what do you think everyone else should start?

I have been watching movies and a lot of ID channel. Let’s just say, don’t piss me off, they will never find your body!

What are you happy to leave behind in the “old world?”

I am not sure there is anything I would be happy to leave behind. I find that I am pretty lucky for the things that I have.

What can you appreciate most about the “new world?”

I don’t think it will last forever, but I do like that there is less traffic on the roads. More than that though, I think society is a little better in terms of supporting one another in ways we didn’t before all this started, I hope that sticks around as part of the new normal.

What is the first thing you’re going to do when the shelter-in-place is lifted?

I’m going to Disneyland! Actually, it will be to schedule my AIDS/LifeCycle fundraiser, Twirl For A Cause.

Who is the person you have missed seeing most during this time?

There is no one person that I think that I miss most specifically. I miss seeing friends, I miss co-workers, I even miss greeting people when working the door at Club 1220.

What song would best represent the time you’ve spent at home?

I would say The Rainbow Connection, wanting to believe in the best that people have to offer and dreaming of a better world.
  
In a fantasy world where the virus doesn’t exist and money isn’t an issue, where is your dream vacation destination?

I have always dreamed of going to the north east during autumn time to see all the colors. Maybe someday it will happen.

What significant impact, if any, will the virus have on your plans for this year?

One of the hardest things about this virus, that has impacted me mostly, it has canceled a yearly event that I look so forward to, the AIDS/LifeCycle. It’s the one week where I get to get away from everything, no politics, no hate, no religion, all of that is gone. It’s just a bunch of people, united in one cause, riding our bicycles thru California. A true love bubble, where everyone is equal and respected. That has been taken away from me. The ramifications even go beyond that, it’s a loss of funding for the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center. Last year the ride brought in near $17 million and right now they are only a little over $7 million. They are hoping to reach $13 million raised so that they can continue to offer the much needed support and programs for those living with HIV and AIDS. Then there are all the fundraisers that happen along the ride, like the school in Bradley. Last year, they raised $70,000 by selling lunch to the riders. That won’t happen this year. However, we don’t give up. We continue on. I am still committed to reaching my goal of $20,000 raised for AIDS/LifeCycle. I have been raising money for Bradley, over $8000 already. I hope in time, the real story about this virus will not be the virus itself, but the way we responded.

No comments:

Post a Comment