Pages

Friday, June 5, 2020

Covid Chronicles: Meet Kimberly!

Depending on where you are, we are almost three months into a shelter-in-place in response to the covid-19/coronavirus pandemic. (Keep in mind regarding timing, these blogs are being rolled out slowly, so some people may have filled out their answers up to a month ago.) In addition, the horrific death of George Floyd at the hands of a police officer has caused civil unrest and forced curfews in many areas this week, adding to the isolation and frustration for many. One hundred years from now, how will we look back at the unprecedented “closing” of the entire world in response to a virus? There is a lot of hate being thrown at governments and politicians. One side feels they aren’t taking this seriously enough. The other side feels like our freedoms have been taken from us and we should re-open immediately. No one is happy. Underneath all of that are individuals and families just trying to make it. Some of us are single and sheltering alone. Some of us are in crowded households with no time or space to ourselves. I wanted to capture the stories of those individuals...my friends. How are they dealing with all of this? I wanted to do this blog to celebrate those people who are holding it down during some really difficult financial and emotional times.

Tell us your first name and a little bit about yourself.

Kimberly. I am a writer, and mother of a beautiful teenage son.

In which part of the world do you live?

West Coast USA

Are you sheltering in place alone or with others? Tell us about your “quarantine” family.

Currently alone. I occasionally social distant at a private club for change of scenery and to get some nature walks in

On a scale of 1-10, how have you been at this whole sheltering thing anyway? 1 means you are essentially carrying on as if nothing is going on. 10 means you’re not leaving your house for any reason and having everything delivered to you. (No judgments here...just curious how people would self-rate.)

8 - although this is my normal routine with just a slight change of social distant (no hugs are hard!) and wearing masks. The life of a writer doesn't change a whole lot.

Do you know anyone who has/had covid-19?

NO

If you are alone, how are you handling the isolation? If you are with others, how are you handling that?

Alone and used to it, however I do have my moments of depression while I'm trying to do things that I would typically get relief from with some social attention. I really miss hugging my friends. Touch is really important.

Are you able to get out and enjoy nature anywhere near you?

Yes but not as much as I would like.

What kind of self-care habits have you put in place to keep you sane?

I had many and they are starting to dwindle as I am trying to keep up with stressful things this week. So at the present moment I cannot even remember what I do....wait, baths! I take salt baths to relax :)

If you have kids, how is homeschooling going?

I do not homeschool any longer. My son is away and that is also a stressor during this time but we do have video chats twice a week now.

What kind of work do you do? Are you able to work from home? How is that going?

Writer, yes I work from home mostly and sometimes I go on drives or in nature to do it for a change of scenery. It is nice (I've been loving it) however it's the people that are stressing out and watching too much news that stress me out when I encounter them.

Be honest...you’ve cut your own hair, right?

YES. lol Just a trim so it came out ok :)

What surprising positive thing has happened because of the time being spent at home/with family?

I've packed up a lot of my house and moved it into the storage. I've been trying very hard to write and research proper placements for my son..."stuck" at home has forced it.

How are you doing birthdays and other celebrations with all of the restrictions in place?

I don't but I did buy myself some flowers for mother's day and some for my own mother.

What changes do you think you will permanently implement after this experience?

Continuously looking for a balance of using technology and going in nature, etc.

Are you ready to get back into the world (with safety precautions in place)?

YES but I don't know it will change much depending on the rest of the population's readiness.

Which TV shows have you been watching and what do you think everyone else should start?

Hmmmmm. not sure...not a big TV watcher anymore.

What are you happy to leave behind in the “old world?”

Not sure.

What can you appreciate most about the “new world?”

Hopefully people will slow down more and have more compassion for others now.

What is the first thing you’re going to do when the shelter-in-place is lifted?

Go on my regular hike trail!!!!! I wish I could do it now but it's too far since part of the park is closed.

Who is the person you have missed seeing most during this time? 

Honestly, my ex (we split up after the SIP). I would say my son but I have been able to maintain the same communication with him all year as usual.

What song would best represent the time you’ve spent at home?

Still learning by Halsey is a good one. Many others but it all depends on how I feel on that day.

In a fantasy world where the virus doesn’t exist and money isn’t an issue, where is your dream vacation destination?

The beach. I don't care where...just get me to the water and I will be happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment