Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2021

52 Hike Challenge

In January, I saw people on social media talking about a 52 hike challenge for 2021.  I figured I could handle one hike per week, so I jumped on the band wagon.  I started the year strong, getting hike 1 on January 1 and hike 2 on January 2.  

Despite some injuries throughout the year, I have successfully had at least one hike every month.  I have done 35 hikes total.  However, with only about 8 weeks left in the year, I need to fit 17 hikes in to hit my 52.  

I have done a lot of local hikes -- the Black Diamond side of Contra Loma is a favorite dog-friendly, off-leash hike.  I have been to Devil's Slide on the coast, and Little Yosemite in Sunol.  I hiked up north at McCloud Falls.  I have been down south (well, Bay Area south) to Uvas Canyon.  I hiked around the Salt River in Arizona.  I did Diamond Head in Hawaii.  I have walked over and around the Golden Gate Bridge.  I have done the Burney Falls loop.  I tried the Cleo's Bath hike in Pinecrest.  I did Alamere Falls, as well as Lands End in San Francisco.  I really have seen some of the most beautiful outdoor locations in our area this year.

So what's a "hike" to me?  It is outdoors (obviously), with some hills, and at least 2 miles (although I had a couple of hikes fall slightly short).  I have hiked a total of 125 miles this year.  My shortest hike was 1.5 miles (Burney Falls loop).  My longest hike was 8.5 miles (Alamere Falls).  Choosing a location can be difficult.  We had A LOT of 100+ degree days over the summer, which made local hikes dangerous.  However, driving two hours to the coast every single weekend to get my hikes started to become overwhelming.  Plus, the coast is usually foggy in the summer.  The gorgeous views are usually best in Fall.  A lot of coastal hikes (especially on my favorite Mt. Tam) are not dog-friendly.  And I now have a dog who knows when she is being left behind, so I have a little guilt when I leave for a hike without her.

I have gone through my calendar and set a fairly aggressive hiking schedule to get myself all the hikes I need to hit my goal.  Weather-permitting, I should be able to get them in before the end of the year.  It will require a double-up of hikes pretty much every week, but I know I can do that.  On Saturday, in fact, I will be heading to Walnut Creek to find a hidden labyrinth.  I have to get in a hike tomorrow after work, and probably one on Sunday as well.  

If you have any favorite hikes, let me know!  Even if I can't fit it in this year, I am already setting my hiking schedule for next year!



\

No comments:

Post a Comment