Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Studio Spotlight: Studio Veena!

Another of my Facebook and Twitter friends is "Veena," who offers really amazing online pole dance courses.  While I believe I have to be careful at home since I like to injure myself, I think that Studio Veena offers some of the best instruction around!
 
I know Studio Veena offers online courses.  Are you also a "real life" studio as well?
Studioveena.com is strictly an online studio. I developed my own method of teaching that includes what I call the P.O.C's (points of contact) and organized the lessons so the user doesn't have to "guess" when it comes to what they should work on next. It's all laid out in order! Building strength first is my primary focus for new dancers in the lessons.  I have also done workshops, private lessons and my favorite thing.... pole jams! 


What is your fitness background?
I've trained with free weights for about 14 years now. I've been an ACE certified personal trainer since 2001. I also hold a number of certifications in various fitness related areas, pre and post natal exercise and Yoga to name a few. Ever since childhood I have always been intrigued with the human body and physical fitness. Health class was my favorite subject in grade school. I love to study and learn more about the body and new fitness trends when I can. As a fitness professional, I never stop learning.

 
What is your fitness routine (on and off the pole)?  
I try to find time 5 or 6 mornings a week to workout for 1 or 2 hours. This does not always happen with kids in the house, and things like laundry, and dishes calling your name! But, I do my best to make exercise a priority. I very my workouts and rotate between pole dance, strength training, hooping and sometimes yoga.
What kind of diet do you follow?
All things in moderation!! I always eat 3 balanced meals a day and 3 snacks in between. Drinks LOTS of water is a big one for me as well!

Do you have a dance background? 
No, I wish! However, at the moment I am taking an Adult Beginner Ballet Course as part of my Continuing Education. It's been exciting for me to learn a little bit about dance. 
 
Do you compete (pole fitness or any other kind of fitness competitions)?
No. I prefer to perform. 

Do you have a preference? "pole fitness" or "pole dancing"  
Really its all pole dance to me, weather its for fitness, fun, art, or a sexy tease. 

What do you think about the stripper vs. pole fitness debate? 
I personally don't see it as a "vs." situation. It's all pole dance, just different styles. There is a time and a place for all styles!

What is your favorite product to help you stick to the pole? 
I don't normally use anything, but if I need it for those cold days, I use itac on my body. 
 
How do you deal with the dry skin on pole days (and on off-pole days)? 
I dance in the morning so I use whatever lotion I have on hand, on my legs the night before I pole. If I plan on dancing at night I'll put lotion on that morning.

Where do you like to buy your pole clothes? 
My mom and I have designed a few outfits that I love. I have a lot of sports bra's from Target. I have a great Romper from the Bad Kitty Pole Fit line. I have a bunch of Poleskivvies bottoms that I adore. And I was recently introduced to Mika Yoga Wear and love it too!
Do you like to dance in heels or barefoot? 
I enjoy both, it depends on the song.

What did you do before opening your pole studio? 
I was a stay at home mom when we started Studioveena. But before that, I work at the YMCA for a few years and was also a personal trainer. Back in the day I owned a little cleaning business, we would clean up new homes after construction was finished.

How did you come up with the name for your studio? 
Veena was a "stage" name for my first Youtube account.  Once I decided to start offering online lessons I figured everyone knew me as Veena, so I stuck with that name.
What is your favorite thing about dancing on the pole? 
The freedom of expression!!

What is your favorite song to dance to (at this moment)? 
Anything that come on my XM radio. BPM, Chill and Octane are my favorite stations.
 
Do you have any other upcoming events you'd like people to know about? 
No events for myself at the moment. However, we do have an Events section on the Studioveena.com Website, http://www.studioveena.com/events everyone be sure to check that out for events happening in your area! 
What else would you like people to know about you or your studio? 
At Studioveena.com we are always looking to improve and grow, there's always something new in the works! I recently added Flexibility and Foam Roller Lessons to the line up. 

2 comments:

  1. "Veena" is a true pioneer within our international pole community. I admire her intelligent, yet humble, business savvy. Plus, she's full of integrity.

    ReplyDelete