Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

OC Pole Fitness Open House

Saturday after our class at BeSpun, we drove to Orange County for the 80's themed open house at OC Pole Fitness.  It was like crossing into the promise land.  Most things in Los Angeles seem to have a slight tinge of grey...and the OC is all painted in gold.

OC Pole Fitness had an open house at their Aliso Viejo location.  We had an awesome adventure driving over -- learning much about driving on toll roads (next time, we will bring Fastrak!).  (P.S. Non-OC drivers...always have change so you aren't standing at a bucket trying to dig out quarters so you can pay $2.50 to drive one mile on a toll road through the canyon.)  The studio is in a strip mall.  When you walk in, there is a reception area, with silks in one room on the right and the pole studio in the back and to the left with a door for privacy.  It is a BEAUTIFUL studio.

We watched the teacher showcase, student showcase, lyra, hoop, silks and silk hammock demonstrations.  I was absolutely amazed and inspired by these performers.  I saw curvy ladies absolutely ROCK their performances -- proving that you don't have to be a size two to do aerial arts.  I saw THREE generations of pole dancers stand for photos.  I met a bunch of super friendly women who, like the Twirly Girls, are so supportive of each other.  I loved that OC Pole's owner, Collette, cheered and clapped and called out to each dancer as they rocked their difficult moves.  It really felt like a family and it made me feel like I was home. 

I will talk more about OC Pole with my Poletry in Motion post (we took a class on Monday before we came home), but I have always heard that The OC is filled with fake blondes with big boobs and no brains.  And there was none of that there.  There were larger ladies, smaller ladies.  Blondes.  Brunettes.  All kinds of body shapes and personalities.  There was no cookie cutter perfect woman.  I loved it.

I saw a lot of ladies that I'd love to interview for this blog.  If any read this and are interested in participating, please let me know!  :-)







Here are videos from their performances:

Collette's solo:



Aerial silks:



Burlesque:



Felicia:



Hoops:



Lyra:



Poi:



Silk Hammocks (unfortunately, the audio was disabled due to copyright issues):



Student Showcase:









Weight loss success story:



Zumba:

3 comments:

  1. I would love to help participate in your interviews. My name is Annette - I was in the student showcase and also the weight loss story and zumba :) Let me know what you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I've been a student at OC Pole Fitness for over 4 years. I love, love, love, LOVE it! You are spot on when you describe the studio as a friendly and supportive. It is one of my favorite places in the world, and it's the women who show up to class with me that make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys rock and I love your studio!! Annette, I sent an e-mail to you so I hope you got it! :-)

    ReplyDelete