Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Learning to Teach

Bel recently brought up the idea of me teaching a non-pole class.  She calls it Femme Fatale (a cardio burlesque type dance/exercise class).  At first I was STOKED.   What better way to "force" myself to do cardio than to be required to show up and teach it?!  We haven't talked details.  I don't know if it will be a one-time workshop or a regular class one day, two days, three days a week?  It's the holidays so we have some time to work that out.  But I thought, well I should jump on this.  I downloaded a bunch of music.  I wrote down the 8 counts in each song.  I had an app figured out the beats per minute.  I started thinking of routines in my head.  Of course, as a jazzerciser from way back in the day, I'm thinking of a combo of some cardio with a few strengthen moves in there is the best idea.  I bought a binder so I can type my routines out and bring them with me but I don't want to be staring at a binder the entire time. 

Then all of these questions started swirling in my little pea brain and I haven't been able to sleep.  Choreographing ONE four minute pole routine is hard.  How will I choreograph an entire hour of routines?  How will I remember it all?  I have been a gym student my entire life...can I switch to teacher mode and start giving cues ahead of time??  If this ends up being a regular class, how often should I change it up?  Should I wing some of it?  Should I choreograph every single minute?  Or should I break down a short routine and teach that for at least a few songs? 

How do all of you teachers do it??  Please help me sleep tonight!!!!  :-D

2 comments: