Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Jimmy Gale, Stephanie Nicole le Dream and AIDS Walk SF

I have posted about Jimmy and AIDS Walk SF before.  You can read last year's posts below:

About last year's charity drag show:
http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2011/05/team-le-dream.html
Jimmy's story:
http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-heart-jimmy-gale.html
A video Jimmy did last year:
http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2011/06/aids-walk-san-francisco.html

Last year, Jimmy set a pretty lofty fundraising goal and promised to walk the SEVEN MILE AIDS Walk San Francisco in SIX INCH HEELS if he met it.  He exceeded that goal and walked the entire walk in those heels.  Even at the end, when he needed help getting across the finish line, and we were pleading with him to take the damn shoes off, he wouldn't.  He made a promise.  And he kept it.

Stephanie Nicole and Ronnie's performance at 1220
This year, I think the Walk snuck (sneaked...whatever) up on us.  Jimmy has been SO busy at the RCC opening up their new thrift shop, Everything Under The Rainbow.  He set a goal of $5,000 for the walk.  He told me that he wasn't sure he'd hit the goal since fundraising seemed to be starting late in the season.  Last night was the 7th annual charity drag show hosted by Club 1220.  Jimmy had a little over $1,600 already on his AIDS Walk fundraising page.  He raised over $3,500 last night and has already met his $5,000 goal.

I think we need to set a new goal.  Last year, Jimmy raised around $8,000.  This year, I think he can do it again.  If you are able to donate even $5, please visit his fundraising page at: tinyurl.com/JimmyGale

There are only three weeks left until the AIDS Walk in San Francisco.  I know he has a couple of fundraising events still to go....one of which will be held at Twirly Girls Pole Fitness in Pleasanton on July 9.  If Jimmy can raise $3,500 in one night, he can raise $1,000 each week until the Walk.  If you can't donate, please share the link with others who may be able to (yeah, that's bad English and I'm okay with it).  


Last weekend, at the RCC's pride picnic, I received the "Honorary Homosexual" award as a "straight" person who loves and supports the gay community.  I was so excited and proud, but got super nervous when it came time to talk on the mic about what the award meant to me.  So, I'd like to re-state what I was trying to get out at the picnic (plus add a little more).  

I am so very grateful for being introduced to Jimmy and everyone surrounding him.  I don't want to start naming names, only because I don't want to accidentally leave anyone out.  The Rainbow Community Center and Club 1220 are both filled with so many great people who love and support each other.  I know that Holotta Tymes has worked hard to build up her reputation as one of the best female impersonators around, and I think it is such a huge compliment to Jimmy that she is willing to give up one of her shows as a fundraiser for the Walk.  Even though I said I wasn't going to name names, I also feel like Ronnie (Jimmy's partner) and Robert (Holotta's husband and my fellow Twirly Boy) deserve personal mentions.  Both are huge supporters who give up their time and money without a second thought.  Last night, Ronnie hugged me and thanked me for everything I do.  I was dumbstruck because I just watched him bid like $200 on baseball tickets (I know taking care of Grandma can't pay THAT well) and then give them to Jimmy's mom.  I want to thank Ronnie for everything HE does!  I love that I have a whole new extended family.  I admire Jimmy so much for all of the hard work that he puts into the Center.  I know working for a non-profit can't pay all that well so it makes me appreciate him that much more -- knowing that his hard work truly is for the love of helping his community.  I don't really know if I personally deserved that award.  I have struggled a bit with money the last couple of years especially, so all I really have is my time to give.  If I could write a check to the RCC to help keep it running forever, I would.  Since that is not possible, I am so happy that my time has been enough.  I have met so many amazing people (the kids especially are so inspiring), and I am so grateful for that.  So, thank you to each person who nominated me for the award.  Thank you to the RCC for embracing me, even though I'm just some straight chick who likes to show up at their events.  And the biggest thank you to Jimmy for everything he does.  

Anyway, enough of the slurp-fest here.  I am honored to walk with Jimmy on July 15th in San Francisco and I hope that anyone who can donate, will...and if you want to walk with us, please let me know.  We will have quite the Team le Dream entourage and there is always room for more!

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy has just announced that he will do AIDS Walk in San Francisco in DRAG if he raises $10,000. Check out his story: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jimmy-gale/why-i-walk-2012/10151201927528975

    ReplyDelete