Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

May I Introduce Pole Artist, Timber Brown!

There's not much to say about how awesome it was to see Timber Brown perform... It is better you witness it yourself. Please make sure you check out all of the videos!

I first saw you perform at the California Pole Dance Championship (here's a link to my video).  I couldn't believe how strong you were.  Okay, well you're a guy, so I *could* believe it but it was still so impressive to watch.  (I also reviewed your performance as "amazeballs" in my blog:  http://lolorashel.blogspot.com/2011/09/twirly-girls-at-california-pole-dance.html)

Wow, thank you so much. I was judging and performing at CPDC.  I enjoyed working with Anjel and X-Pole at the event. The performances were amazing and I had a front row seat!

When people comment on my strength I often tell them that it’s an optical illusion, explaining that it’s easier for me to lift or throw myself because I have little legs. :-) There is an exciting and hopeful look into the future of the pole community in your comment , “I couldn't believe how strong you were.  Okay, well you're a guy, so I *could.*” Exciting because in the future I see more organizations, equipment, and products being adapted and created to accommodate the distinctive physical attributes of each sex as well as accentuate the similarities we share as humans.

My performance at CPDC was one that I was a bit discontent with before it started. My heart was set on performing a routine that I was very excited about! Shortly before I went on stage I had to abort that performance and write down a few sequences while trying to find a good song. It came time to go on stage and I had not been able to memorize the order of my vocabulary. I brought the paper with my plan written on it and put it on the stage at the bottom of the pole. When I watch that video I can see me looking at it the whole time, Ugh. Overall it was nothing like what I had originally planned, but it went better than expected. I look back and wouldn’t have it any other way and I’m still very excited about when I will perform my original routine. 

What kind of fitness routine do you have to keep your body in shape like that?

Oh gosh, I don’t have a daily fitness plan at all which almost sounds terrible but it’s not because.....“for an extended time only, you can play on poles every day and have the body you have always wanted too!” HAHA! Really though, it is true.

Fitness is a wonderful consequence of pole activity. Pole as a form of fitness is not my primary motivation in my “work outs.” It just comes with it. I practice pole because I just love it! It feels good and I love doing it. I can go on and on but I just love everything about it. Unlike the common infomercial where a man claims “you can get fit and have a great time doing it with this apparatus...,” well in the case of pole that is 100% true

What kind of diet do you follow?

I LOVE food! I don’t follow a strict diet. I am more of a “damage control” eater versus a “prevention” eater. I eat what I need to eat at the time. I have to be true and good to myself and if that means eating Mexican food this week then it is what it is. 

Although my blog generally follows the adventures of female pole dancers, there has been a real interest lately in making the sport more fitness-oriented and less sexy.  More men are also getting involved and I am trying to include more aerial artists.  You are pretty unique in what you do.  What would you call your brand of aerial/acrobatic arts/pole dance?

I would call it “Anomaly,” a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.

-------

You know, pole is many things to many different people. No one person, group, or organization can define what it is or should be except for themselves. There are some things that I am not opposed to, but just aren’t for me. I believe there is a time and a place for everything and that most things worth doing should be done decently and in order. One certainty is that regardless of what context pole may be being used, it is in any form, a form of fitness.

How did you get discovered?

I was 21 years old when an entertainment company viewed a video of me doing stunts and acrobatics. They asked me to be part of their productions. This was when I was first introduced to the pole. 

Tell us about Anomalia Entertainment.

“Anomalia” is the Italian word for Anomaly. I created this company a few years ago. The company provides specialty entertainment performances and rigging for events and productions world wide. As well as concept creation, and acrobatic vocabulary research.  In the future we hope to be a part of more events in the pole dancing community.

Have you competed in any pole/aerial events?  Do you hold any titles?

I participated in “Pole Dancing Universe International,” although I don’t remember it being named that at the time. I was awarded “pole athlete champion.” Below is the video link to that performance. Anomalia Entertainment was contracted to do the  rigging for the event which included a 14’x26’ anchored truss structure, two 14’ dance poles, and two 16’ specialty acrobatic poles.



Do you usually choreograph your routines or do you like to "free dance?"

I mostly choreograph my routines but it certainly depends on the situation. I am very particular about what I put out there. Especially when I am performing at a pole event. I could go on forever here on this... In the end, the performance is not for me. It’s for the audience. When I bow I want the audience and I, in unison, to feel that I have just given them a part of myself. Regardless if I am choreographing or dancing freely that is the goal.

Do you have a day job outside of performing?

Performing is my livelihood on both a physical and personal level. It’s very tricky sometimes but I love it. 

What do you do for down time?

I am usually up to some kind of ridiculous shenanigan but when I’m not I enjoy cooking, writing and watching TV. Some shows I like are Dexter, East Bound and Down, Family Guy, and the discovery channel. I imagine that soon I will be hiding in a bush throwing water balloons filled with ketchup at passing cars.





Is there anything else you'd like to share with everyone?

I have had strong inspiration lately in a couple of different areas. I really hope to be able to get some charity endeavors off the ground in the near future. My hope is that I will be able to raise money for specific charities through involvement in competitions, special performances, online pole skill tutorials and custom product sales just to name a few. I would like to reach out to anyone who is familiar with charity works, web development or just has helpful info that can be used to help bring attention to the work and get it off the ground.

People sometimes refer to me as a person who does Chinese poles, an aerialist or a pole dancer.... I ask that people to refer to me as a “pole artist.” Not because I am not any of the above things, but because I am all of them. In my work I strive to encompass a little bit of what all of those things means to me. 

I’d like to take the opportunity to say thank you to a few people out there who have been enablers in my life the last few years. Imagination Entertainment [also check out the show that Timber participates in: http://www.ilcirco.com/], Steve Gale [Four-Cubed Acrobatics or Radiant Productions], aerialist Alyssa McCraw, Natasha Wang [website], Kelly Yvonne and the girls at The Choreography House, the whole LA Pole community, Fawnia Dietrich and Pole Fitness Studio Las Vegas... All of you have been great influences or enablers to me and I appreciate you.

I am really excited to follow your career and look forward to the next time I get to see you perform!

Thank you so much and thank you for the opportunity to share. Happy Poling Everyone!



Two additional videos of Timber and Alyssa:






No comments:

Post a Comment